Options

Ch32 - Bass Player

Jeremy HallJeremy Hall Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited February 20, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Alright, I have yet to enter a contest, so I thought I would give it a shot. I am new to dgrin and smugmug anyway, slowly getting into the scene.

I am on a concert tour right now taking band photos. Let me know if you think this qualifies under the "dominant color" rules. Also, other comments appreciated.

15884771-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Alright, I have yet to enter a contest, so I thought I would give it a shot. I am new to dgrin and smugmug anyway, slowly getting into the scene.

I am on a concert tour right now taking band photos. Let me know if you think this qualifies under the "dominant color" rules. Also, other comments appreciated.

15884771-L.jpg
    concerning the challenge I don't think it fits but holy cow this is a nice shot! Keep trying for the challenge. I'm impressed!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    concerning the challenge I don't think it fits but holy cow this is a nice shot! Keep trying for the challenge. I'm impressed!thumb.gif
    Thanks for the kind words. I figured it likely didn't qualify, but there was a lot of natural black in there that I thought I would give it a pass through the community. I have several more nights coming up, perhaps I can grab something.

Concert shooting is a lot of fun. I recommend it for anyone looking for a new photographic challenge.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005

ne_nau.gif can't see the pic
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Having this problem
    I have been having this problem with the photos I post from smugmug. They work for a time, then they go away. Any ideas? It is just a link from one of my public images, large version (800px tall). I am stumped because I see the photo now, and digital faerie saw it. I am missing something.
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I cant see the pic eitherne_nau.gif
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Link
    I wrote in to support to see if they have any ideas. In the meantime, here is a link to the gallery display of the photo.

http://gogetphotos.com/gallery/398335/1/15884771/Large

Based on the first reply, I will see if I get something that better qualifies for the contest. Thanks again for looking and any comments. Always interested in improving.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    I wrote in to support to see if they have any ideas. In the meantime, here is a link to the gallery display of the photo.

http://gogetphotos.com/gallery/398335/1/15884771/Large

Based on the first reply, I will see if I get something that better qualifies for the contest. Thanks again for looking and any comments. Always interested in improving.

it's pretty simple. you click on "share with friends button, and you either highlight the link, or you right click on the word "link" and copy it to your clipboard, and then paste it here in the message.

here's a pic of what it looks like on your site.

15930974-L.jpg
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's pretty simple. you click on "share with friends button, and you either highlight the link, or you right click on the word "link" and copy it to your clipboard, and then paste it here in the message.

here's a pic of what it looks like on your site.
    That is exactly what he did, the link is the same. It looks like a smugmug related problem, because after going to the gallery and having looked at the picture, it also worked here in the dgrin-post. (using a IE clone)
    ne_nau.gif
    Same thing with Mozilla. It didn't show the picture at first in dgrin, but after visiting the gallery-page directly it also worked in dgrin.

Weired! headscratch.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Yeah, that is the link I have for the image in the original post. That is why I am confused. I wondered if it was some URL they were randomizing to keep things updated and out of caches, but it seems to be static. I am still showing the photo when I view the thread, so I am stumped. Thanks for trying to give me some hints.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    no it's not...
    Yeah, that is the link I have for the image in the original post. That is why I am confused. I wondered if it was some URL they were randomizing to keep things updated and out of caches, but it seems to be static. I am still showing the photo when I view the thread, so I am stumped. Thanks for trying to give me some hints.

i edited your post so that the pic would show up. but now, it's not again.

your link was http://gogetphotos.smugmug.com/photos/15884771-L.jpg

are you absolutely sure that "external links" are turned ON for this gallery?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    That was it!
    Thanks Andy! Ext links was off. Reveals my newbie status to smugmug. Thank you for your knowledge. I turned it on, so that should do it. Thanks again.
  • Options
    trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I'm liking your picture, but it appears the guitar could serve as a picture, if yuo can get a good shot of it. That would definitly have the color you are looking for! Great shot!
    trippy64.smugmug.com
    A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 15, 2005
    hey now that all the tech difficulties are gone... that is a great picture! Technically excellent, but I don't know if I'd vote for it as a "predominant color" (seems to be a common comment for this challenge :):).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Good idea
    DoctorIt wrote:
    hey now that all the tech difficulties are gone... that is a great picture! Technically excellent, but I don't know if I'd vote for it as a "predominant color" (seems to be a common comment for this challenge :):).
    If lighting is right in the next couple of shows, I will see if I can focus on just the guitar. Great idea, thx.

Thanks again for the comments. I am always amazed at the quality I see on these forums. I love the ideas I am picking up from everyone.
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Hi, Jeremy

You guys got the problem fixed by the time I got here Laughing.gif.

It showed up the first time for me to see. I agree with some of the other

suggestions mybe pick out something to zoom in on. I think you will do fine

in the challenges. Just relax and take lots & lots of pictures.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Thanks Andy! Ext links was off. Reveals my newbie status to smugmug. Thank you for your knowledge. I turned it on, so that should do it. Thanks again.
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    I agree
    I am new to these contests as well! I think your photo is very well done! I really like it, but am not too sure it fits the color contest. dawn
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Excellent shot! Dramatic lighting. And the shaft of light top right adds a lot of drama too. As the others have said, I don't see a predominant color, despite the gray/black background. .
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    Ok, one last shot at it :)
    ok, they do a Jazz segment of the show where the "bass" player goes from bass guitar to a bass. They keep all the lights low and throw a *very* orange/green light on him and the singer. The lights are so low I have to crank up the ISO just to capture anything. How is this for the predominant color?

15990205-L.jpg

I will say after seeing some of the incredible shots in the contest already I am not too worries about winning (love those pelicans and the scenic shot at the end of the first page!!). But, I figure the fun is in the trying. Thanks again for all the feedback and help along the away.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    ok, they do a Jazz segment of the show where the "bass" player goes from bass guitar to a bass. They keep all the lights low and throw a *very* orange/green light on him and the singer. The lights are so low I have to crank up the ISO just to capture anything. How is this for the predominant color?

15990205-S.jpg

I will say after seeing some of the incredible shots in the contest already I am not too worries about winning (love those pelicans and the scenic shot at the end of the first page!!). But, I figure the fun is in the trying. Thanks again for all the feedback and help along the away.

I think this one works, and enjoyed both images--looking forward to seeing more of your concert stuff!

Lynne