Options

Fence -- Suggestions please

klcklc Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited June 26, 2007 in Landscapes
I think the white picked fence and Lavender in full bloom make great subjects for a photographer, What could I have down better?

All advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
-Katlin
"Each picture captures a unplaceable momment." I am thinking about being a photographer when i'm older. I practice alot and hope this website will help me grow to become a better photographer and help me learn more!
:lust Katlin

Comments

• Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    klc wrote:
    I think the white picked fence and Lavender in full bloom make great subjects for a photographer, What could I have down better?

All advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    -Katlin
    Hi Katlin
    A couple of suggestions:
    1. Try shooting under different lighting conditions, say an hour before sunset or an hour after sunrise on a clear day. That's when you get the "sweet light".
    2. Move in closer to your subject, ie. the lavender.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    well lets see here...it looks like the pic is just a tad underexposed. it looks like it was shot on a cloudy day, which is great for shooting people, but the lighting is somewhat flat here.

the flowers could use some pop, but you'd have to do that in post. since you're shopping for software right now, there's not much you can do about that unless your camera came with some sort of editing software.

i think the angle is good, and you did a good job of covering any distracting elements (like the car that you can barely see in the background). i had to really look to find it.

if you moved a bit closer, you could make the fence look like it goes on forever out of the frame of the photo...which may be neat. it would bring the flowers out a bit too i think.
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    All good suggestions above. I would also, while closer, try to blur out (create a nice bokeh in the background) the other posts. You could focus one one or two posts and try to the blur the remaining posts and slats. The narrower Depth of Field (DOF) will accentuate your subject, the fence posts for example.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2007
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions. They all sound great and will deffintly try them!!! Thank you!!!

Question... How do you blur part of the picture... like the backgroud... Does that have to do with the software i'm looking for?

Thanks again,
    -Katlin
    "Each picture captures a unplaceable momment." I am thinking about being a photographer when i'm older. I practice alot and hope this website will help me grow to become a better photographer and help me learn more!
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    klc wrote:
    Question... How do you blur part of the picture... like the backgroud... Does that have to do with the software i'm looking for?

Thanks again,
    -Katlin
    It's called "depth of field" or DOF. It's covered in this Assignment. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    It's called "depth of field" or DOF. It's covered in this Assignment. thumb.gif

Thank you!!!
    I have been practicing DOF

Thanks again, Katlin