"Refraction"

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited June 25, 2007 in Holy Macro
this is one of those once-in-a-lifetime shots that you just sort of stumble into without even looking for them. i was at a park last summer, looking for some birds to photograph, and i was walking behind a young couple. the girl was blowing bubbles with a wand, and most of them drifted off or popped, but one landed on a stalk of grass and didn't burst. well, i got this crazy idea, wondering if i could get a half-decent photo of it, so i hurried up as close as my lens would focus (about 6 feet away), composed the shot, and snapped off a couple of frames. i think i got off three shots before the bubble burst. anyway, when i got home and looked at the pics on my monitor, i was amazed at how well it came out... Canon 30D, Sigma EX80-400 lens, 350mm 1/250 @ f5.6 handheld...

Refractionsm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    squirl033 wrote:
    this is one of those once-in-a-lifetime shots that you just sort of stumble into without even looking for them. i was at a park last summer, looking for some birds to photograph, and i was walking behind a young couple. the girl was blowing bubbles with a wand, and most of them drifted off or popped, but one landed on a stalk of grass and didn't burst. well, i got this crazy idea, wondering if i could get a half-decent photo of it, so i hurried up as close as my lens would focus (about 6 feet away), composed the shot, and snapped off a couple of frames. i think i got off three shots before the bubble burst. anyway, when i got home and looked at the pics on my monitor, i was amazed at how well it came out... Canon 30D, Sigma EX80-400 lens, 350mm 1/250 @ f5.6 handheld...

Wow it's perfectly round eek7.gif how cool is that !
    Look at those star bursts too clap.gif and the reflection inside the bubble.
    Great Shot ! ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    I really like this. It reminds me of all the dew drop shots I try (and fail) to get. Have you seen the stack-able bubbles before? They are a special kind that don't pop very easily and you can actually catch them. Might have to go buy a bottle now and have a play with the camera...Thanks for the great picture and inspiration!
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Brilliant capture - you are right- once in a lifetime stuff :)
    Should have called it reflection (because that is what it is).
    Brian V.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 24, 2007
    Beautiful shot. clap.gif
  • MrPartsMrParts Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Mesmorizing! I had to blink to post this. That bubble just sucks ya right in!

Very cool shot!
    Enjoy your life, it's the only one you get.
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Wow! Great image.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    clap.gif Just amazing weldone clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    thanks for all the nice comments... i have to admit, this is one of my fave shots, just because of the uniqueness of it. of course, having it win photo of the year on another web portal, worth over $3k in prizes, didn't hurt... nor did getting it published in National Geographic! mwink.gif
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com