Options

"Text Color" button present in basic, missing in advanced, post editor?

ProtographerProtographer Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited June 28, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support
When editing an existing post, in the simple, basic view, there is a "text color" button.

This "text color" button seems to be missing once one switches to the more advanced view by clicking on the "go advanced" button. The "text color" button is also missing when creating a post.

Also, once one has clicked "go advanced" there doesn't seem to any way to
"go simple" short of restarting the edit.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    When editing an existing post, in the simple, basic view, there is a "text color" button.

This "text color" button seems to be missing once one switches to the more advanced view by clicking on the "go advanced" button. The "text color" button is also missing when creating a post.

Also, once one has clicked "go advanced" there doesn't seem to any way to
    "go simple" short of restarting the edit.

Am I missing something?
    I removed the color button. I'll find out why it is there in basice editor style.

Colors mess things up, due to the fact that we offer many different forum skins.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I removed the color button. I'll find out why it is there in basice editor style.

Colors mess things up, due to the fact that we offer many different forum skins.
    That wasn't the result I had in mind!:jawdrop Oh, I see now, you haven't yet removed it from the basic editor style. I personally don't care about all those forum skins - one is just fine by me. I know others do care about them, probably passionately. I do find the presence of the text colour button quite useful.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I removed the color button.

clap.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    That wasn't the result I had in mind!:jawdrop Oh, I see now, you haven't yet removed it from the basic editor style. I personally don't care about all those forum skins - one is just fine by me. I know others do care about them, probably passionately. I do find the presence of the text colour button quite useful.
    Please don't use it - it's unnecessary and it ruins the experience for those that do use the skins. Thanks. I'll figure out why it's in the basic editor and remove it.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Please don't use it - it's unnecessary
    It's not unnecessary - strong (bold), enphasis (italics) & underline aren't nearly enough text formats. I found it very useful, see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63249.
    Andy wrote:
    and it ruins the experience for those that do use the skins.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks. I'll figure out why it's in the basic editor and remove it.
    That wasn't the result I had in mind!:cry:nah:uhoh:pissed
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    It's not unnecessary - strong (bold), enphasis (italics) & underline aren't nearly enough text formats. I found it very useful, see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63249.I'm
    I had a look - and had to select the yellow text to be able to read it - it's only barely visible there is text on light background.

While I'm not in favor of removing a color button, I would suggest that when one uses color to think about how it would look on a variety of backgrounds. (And to people who are color blind - red on black becomes black on black for quite a few people...). Color is good - but use it wisely and sparingly.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 27, 2007
    gosh, I can't imagine how people ever communicated effectively before word processors, HTML and WYSIWYG editors?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    gosh, I can't imagine how people ever communicated effectively before word processors, HTML and WYSIWYG editors?
    Color crayons?:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Fixed.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    It's not unnecessary - strong (bold), enphasis (italics) & underline aren't nearly enough text formats. I found it very useful, see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63249.I'm sorry to hear that. That wasn't the result I had in mind!:cry:nah:uhoh:pissed
    Here it is in Whitewash:
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    It's not unnecessary - strong (bold), enphasis (italics) & underline aren't nearly enough text formats. I found it very useful, see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63249.I'm sorry to hear that. That wasn't the result I had in mind!:cry:nah:uhoh:pissed
    Here it is in Ivory Tower
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Here it is in Sand:
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Here it is in Sand:

Unfortunately, even without the color buttons, manually using bulletin board code still works.

Can you disable that, too?
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Fixed.
    Just to see if color still works without a button... Coders should know how to use color sensibly mwink.gif
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    I personally don't care about all those forum skins - one is just fine by me. I know others do care about them, probably passionately.
    I still don't understand the fascination with different skins on a bulletin-board-type service but, obviously, others do, passionately. The reason to remove text colour is essentially the same as the reason that caused the change from "bold" to "strong" and "italics" to "emphasis" in HTML coding - the need to make text formatting relative to the environment (in this case skin) being used to display the text, in other words replacing physical styles with logical styles.

What we really need are additional logical text (colour) styles to replace the physical text colour styles. It is a shame though that one user display feature, skins, has essentially eliminated another, very powerful user display feature, colour.

Anyway, if you were now to check http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=578084#post578084 you would notice that I have removed the colours, in deference to those of you who do not use the default skin. Consider my knuckles to have been rapped!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Just to see if color still works without a button... Coders should know how to use color sensibly mwink.gif
    Unfortunately sensible use of colour in an environment with a number of different skins becomes very difficult (and potentially time consuming). It really is easier to avoid it than to use it sensibly. Sad, but true.