Options

Influenced by Andy

ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
edited February 20, 2005 in Landscapes
I am the first to admitt I cannot hold a candle to Andy in photography but that does not mean I can not try to imitate his street photography.:andy
Now I know these are not good but I would like some feedback if possible.
These are crops.
15887910-M.jpg

and another if you can stomach it.

15887913-M.jpg
My main problems: focus problems ,sometimes going to wide ,composition in the street is tough in such a fast paced environment. My admiration for street photographers grew ten fold today.

Well people please give me some input hints or suggestions... anything but silence :D
Hopefully I can get better at street photography because I do enjoy it.

Oh yes, I hope my pathetic trys at imitation are not to insulting to Andy
:crazy

Tim

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    I am the first to admitt I cannot hold a candle to Andy in photography but that does not mean I can not try to imitate his street photography.:andy
    Now I know these are not good but I would like some feedback if possible.
    These are crops.
    15887910-M.jpg

and another if you can stomach it.

15887913-M.jpg
    My main problems: focus problems ,sometimes going to wide ,composition in the street is tough in such a fast paced environment. My admiration for street photographers grew ten fold today.

Well people please give me some input hints or suggestions... anything but silience :D
    Hopefully I can get better at street photography because I do enjoy it.

Oh yes, I hope my pathetic trys at imitation are not to insulting to Andy
    :crazy

Tim
    I admire Andy's work as well,but I wont let him know that mwink.gifD
    Seriously,I think you did very well and we all need inspiration.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Remember that Andy was subconsciously remembering the work of Henri Cartier Bresson. And so it goes............. Maybe you all can be another Andy. It is raining here, too. It never occurred to me to try that. Then again I am completely in a suburban area. Would be very difficult for me to do that. Downtown they have horrific flooding problems, I drive an old Honda Civic, I will not go down there in the rain.

Well, I am tired today anyway. Otherwise I might go down and take photos of the horrific flooding problems. Meanwhile trying to get an umbrella shot and a reflection shot.

What I really liked about Andys, and I am sure it was just me. But I could not connect the legs and feet of the person coming fwd with the reflection. I thought one was a man and one was a woman. Something Rutt said straightened me out. I was a mess looking at that photo for a long time.

Then the Bresson shot, it had its specialness with the jump.

I think we ought to all go hang out around rain puddles and wait for something. Take a bunch of memory. See what works. In the old days they couldn't do that. I was thinking that yesterday. In some ways I have become an editor of my own work. I bet Bresson with his little inconspicuous Leica didn't have bunches of film to spare.

I am on the hunt for Atget and something he said. I am sure it was him, could be wrong. But he seemed to have started this whole thing. I remember someone admiring how everything he did was perfect, down to what he decided to leave in a picture. I remember a door jamb or wall, these would not be noticed by most people, but I guess that is one of the things that made him so good.

I think that applies to Annie Leibowitz, too. And now that I have a 17-40 L lens, I would like to keep these things in mind more than I have. I do not have people around me to photograph, but on the chance, and it is a thought.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    hold a candle? there's your problem... get a flash unit instead! ba-da-bam! but seriously folks...
    These are great shots, especially #1. Nice work.thumb.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    Very nice Shakey ^5
    I agree that #1 is very nice thumb.gifthumb.gif

Now if you want to emulate Andy, you must remember that the quality of the shot taken will be directly proportional to the meal you just ate 10944573-Ti.gif

Ribs seem to be the preferred "brain food" for street shooting :lol

Seriously, good work and you could do much worse than trying to imitate Andy. His photos are great, IMHO (and in Kodak's POTD staff's opinion too....lol). Like you, I think his street shots are extremely good and they motivate me to "step it up a notch".

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Tim
    Good job I like the first one bestthumb.gif

If I was standing next to a puddle to take a photo
    A big truck would come by and splash water all over mene_nau.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    thanks so much, time
    hiya tim, i'm really glad you posted this. it's one of the highest compliments we as artists can get, when other folks try to do what we've done. i'm so pleased, and at the same time i'm blushing 15651399-Ti.gif

i like what you've done here, the exosures are spot on, the amount of movement is just right imo. i prefer the first over the second, the buildings reflected in the puddle add to the compo and give a nice sense of place to the shot.

edit: i want to add that i find the diagonal compo in the second shot very pleasing thumb.gif

thanks for posting this, and if i can ever be of help, just holler.

oh and steve's right, the quality of my street shooting goes up

after my first starbucks quad latte:14326049-Ti.gif

after a good burger at lunch: :burger

and maybe a little icecream in the afternoon lol3.gif15676859-Ti.gif

enjoy (pointing your camera down in the rain) photography,
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    These are some impressive reflection shots! My attempts are nowhere close to this. I seem to have a problem with focus & DOF.

BTW...
    Congrats on making it to the finals in the Fred Miranda Monthly Challenge!

Dave
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    just one in a crowed
    #1 is very very good now why would someone want to copy andy ???????headscratch.gif oh yea clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Good job I like the first one bestthumb.gif

If I was standing next to a puddle to take a photo
    A big truck would come by and splash water all over mene_nau.gif

Thanks
    Fred
    And if you were there I would like to be taking your picture while it happened.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks USAIR

Tim
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hiya tim, i'm really glad you posted this. it's one of the highest compliments we as artists can get, when other folks try to do what we've done. i'm so pleased, and at the same time i'm blushing 15651399-Ti.gif

i like what you've done here, the exosures are spot on, the amount of movement is just right imo. i prefer the first over the second, the buildings reflected in the puddle add to the compo and give a nice sense of place to the shot.

edit: i want to add that i find the diagonal compo in the second shot very pleasing thumb.gif

thanks for posting this, and if i can ever be of help, just holler.

oh and steve's right, the quality of my street shooting goes up

after my first starbucks quad latte:14326049-Ti.gif

after a good burger at lunch: :burger

and maybe a little icecream in the afternoon lol3.gif15676859-Ti.gif

enjoy (pointing your camera down in the rain) photography,
    Thanks for your comments Andy. I am working on holding my camera still for 1/40 sec shots to capture motion.
    I will continue to practice .
    The eating and drinking part I have down pat.:D
    I am going to continue to scout locations and find the right place with people light and action /or drama.

Thanks for the inspirations.

Tim
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    These are some impressive reflection shots! My attempts are nowhere close to this. I seem to have a problem with focus & DOF.

BTW...
    Congrats on making it to the finals in the Fred Miranda Monthly Challenge!

Dave
    Thanks DKapp and here is to you winning the monthly Challenge with your excellent entry.:slurp You are in the lead clap.gifclap.gif . I might make third if a miracle happens ne_nau.gif .

Cheers,
    Tim
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    I agree that #1 is very nice thumb.gifthumb.gif

Now if you want to emulate Andy, you must remember that the quality of the shot taken will be directly proportional to the meal you just ate 10944573-Ti.gif

Ribs seem to be the preferred "brain food" for street shooting :lol

Seriously, good work and you could do much worse than trying to imitate Andy. His photos are great, IMHO (and in Kodak's POTD staff's opinion too....lol). Like you, I think his street shots are extremely good and they motivate me to "step it up a notch".

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    I plan to go downtown and try some more. I think I might try a bit of binge.gif :cheeburga to inspire and motivate me.

Thanks
    Tim
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    clap.gif, I tried it too a week ago... but I failed miserably (puddles too small :lol) Good job here, I also like the first one best!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    I really like that first shot! Good job! thumb.gif I would love to try street reflection photography.... if only this stupid snow would start melting...

mumbles about long Maritime winters...
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Hi Tim,
    I know nothing about street photography, but I'd say these are great. I like the diagonal in no. 2. Mostly, I admire your guts in trying this at all. It looks difficult. Not much light on these gloomy days. Hard to focus in the fast moving action. Great job. clap.gifclap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog