Kite Surfing

SDJamesSDJames Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited July 9, 2007 in Sports
First time shooting this. What fun! The family went to the beach and we showed up to much more wind than expected for beach-going. However, perfect conditions for these guys... Please C&C
165972176-M.jpg

165979930-M.jpg

165979911-M.jpg
40D, 400 f5.6L, 70-200 f2.8L, 50 f1.8, Tam 17-50 f2.8

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    Love that last one...the sport is getting huge here. I often photograph it.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    I'd love to comment on what I suspect are nice photos. Sadly, I can't.

That has to be the most offensive watermark I have ever seen. Why post here with that watermark? This is a photo appreciation site.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:

That has to be the most offensive watermark I have ever seen. Why post here with that watermark? This is a photo appreciation site.

Great photos and action can't wait to see more....What were your using with the 30D for these photos?? I checked out your site ....some really great photos there!!

.......I suspect that SDJames leaves the watermark there due to the fact that there is absolutely no security on this Photo Appreaiation Site.........ever look at the bottom of the page to see how many non dgrinners are lurking (it is now 7-5-07 at 11:48PM...here are the stats from 2 minutes ago: In da house: 489 (65 members and 424 lurkers) ....how many of those are just waitng to steal a few fantastic photos that are not copyrighted ( copyright not showing on pic) and not watermarked........SDjames' are not as offensive as mine.....mine are bolder (and even in a shade of magenta, they stand out greatly) even tho they are only single line water marks.....if that WM had been placed near the bottom it could be easily cut off or cloned out....there really is nothing hidden from the viewing public to get a great idea of the story the photos projects........in my extremely humble opinon......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Art Scott is right about the security of our photos here.

I have seen one of my photos copied.

A watermark is not nice for the viewing of the picture but may prevent from the copy being copied.

Are you using a 400 mm ? on a 30 D ?
    Your photos are very good. thumb.gif

The moment of the capture is fine. Do you practice this sport, as well ?

I've been shooting kite surf myself but only with a 1.4+70-200 which is 200*1,4=280mm with a 20D. But I miss a 400 mm !
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • SDJamesSDJames Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Thanks, Gus

Mitchell, I look forward to your opinion, but I haven't seen it yet...even on the watermark. Let's focus on constructive criticism.nod.gif I have been struggling with a watermark that shows the picture, but protects my photos. Any suggestions?? Or just criticism minus the contructive aspect.ne_nau.gif

Art Scott, appreciate the comments. Yes, these were taken with the 400mm and 30D.

Antonio, no I haven't ventured into kite surfing yet...just surfing.

Thanks!
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:

thumb.gif
    edited July 7, 2007
    thumb.gif
    OK, come on guys...I have to politely disagree with the statement that this is a photo appreciation site. If that is all you are using this site for, you are missing outheadscratch.gif . There is so much talent and diversity of perspective represented in the active participantsthumb.gif that this site can turn a mediocre photographer like myself into a better one. If we don't help each other improve, we are just inflating each others egos (or tearing them down).
    I look forward to improving based upon all of your suggestions. Don't leave me hanging with just a thumb.:D
    edited July 8, 2007
    James. Good afternoon.

Well, here I go:

1.st picture
    I don't like the crop. I would rather a crop with more field in front of the surfer and I would like him to be at the "thirds"
    Place the line of the sea on the "third" also.

2.ed picture
    Too tight. Too cropped. It suffers from the same: no field ahead to ride.

3.ed picture
    Good picture. Nothing to say.
    But - always the buts - may be you have one, similar, with the face of the guy !

I use often the "thirds" and it works fine. I have even watched that, when we use it, most people like our photos.

OK ? Not mad at me ? :D
    thumb.gif
    edited July 9, 2007
    OK ? Not mad at me ? :D
    thumb.gif
    Awesome comments...thanks for the kinds words AND constructive criticism

Naw...not mad at you...or anyone to be honest, just disapointed in some that choose to express they don't like something and leave. I would love to know that someone hates what I did as long as I know why and how to make it better!clap.gif
    edited July 9, 2007
    SDJames wrote:
    Awesome comments...thanks for the kinds words AND constructive criticism

Naw...not mad at you...or anyone to be honest, just disapointed in some that choose to express they don't like something and leave. I would love to know that someone hates what I did as long as I know why and how to make it better!clap.gif

James.
    It is not possible to hate your work... unless that person is stupid.
    And, because there no such thing here, that will never happen.:D

It's normal if I like certain photos and don't like or like less, other photos.
    Yours are good in general.:D

There are some I don't like that much. So what ?
    We can't please everybody ! :D
    thumb.gif