PhotoShop CS, EXIF, Dates

StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited June 29, 2007 in Finishing School
I've been beating my head against this for a while, and done a bunch of seaching without much success. I've seen threads that mention that PhotoShop messes with a Date Modified field and even maybe a Date Created field, and maybe there's no way to correct that. As far as I can tell though, it doesn't mess with the original date created field:

166099280-L.jpg

But (didn't you just know there would be a "but"?) none of the photo-sharing sites seem to see that info. Zooomr and Flickr both show it as having been taken on the date I edited, and even out good friend SmugMug only shows the edit date (and not much else!) :

http://miltonpix.smugmug.com/gallery/3043668#165667767
http://www.miltonpix.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=165667767

What am I doing wrong?

:scratch :dunno

Comments

• StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 26, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    no thoughts?

Not sure what the problem is here. I have CS2 and Smugmug shows both the taken and modified dates. One exception is HDR composites, which show only the limited info that your shot does on Smugmug. Are you using "Save for Web" by chance? That excludes EXIF data from the file, making it somewhat smaller and thus faster to load. Have you searched the Web for similar complaints about CS? If it is a program problem, you certainly won't be alone.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    EDIT: 15524779-Ti.gif with Richard.

How are you saving the files in photoshop. Looks like you are loosing the EXIF data, at least as far as I can tell from the photo's information provided by smugmug in the link you gave.
    edited June 26, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Have you searched the Web for similar complaints about CS?

I have, and didn't find much. There's this old thread, in which Baldy mentioned
    people who set the date of their cameras to get accurate EXIF data, only to have Photoshop walk on the DateTime modified field

I'm not using SaveForWeb, just SaveAs and choosing JPG. Most of the time I'm using an action to do so, and I'll post a screenshot of the action when I'm a home at my Mac tonight.

The screenshot above is from the same file I uploaded, here's the workflow:
    I opened my RAW file in PSCS, did my cropping, leveling etc., and saved my PSD file. I then also saved the image as JPG.
    I then closed PH and uploaded the JPG file to SmugMug, using the Mac uploader.
    Then I reopened the JPG file in PS and checked File Info and took that screenshot. PS sees the original date/time, but the online services don't :cry

thanks for the input, I'm sure there's just a small something I'm not doing right somewhere.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 26, 2007
    Steven, my workflow is like yours RAW to ARC to PSCS2 or 3. Save As to end up with a jpg in sRGB. My exif data on smugmug shows this

Date taken and date modified. Not sure what is going on for you.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 26, 2007
    here's my save-to-jpg action, called here "Jpg 10":

166941013-L.jpg

I also thought maybe there was something about SM Uploader on my system, so I uploaded via the java web uploader as well, no difference:
    via Web/Java: http://miltonpix.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=166940993
    via SM Uploader: http://miltonpix.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=166941145
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Steve, why don't you open a raw file - make sure the EXIF data is there, then use the normal Save-As without the action. Then open the jpg in PS and see if the EXIF data is there. If so, upload that file to Smugmug and then check again to see if its there.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 26, 2007
    What David said:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 29, 2007
    I haven't forgotten about your suggestions, nor figured it out yet; I've just been busy for the past few days. I did open a (different) .crw with PS then immediately save it to jpg (manually, no actions), without any dfference.

I guess part of my problem is that I don't know what field(s) Smugmug and others are looking at - it certainly doesn't appear to be the DateTimeOriginal field circled in the first post, 'cause that's there no problem.

I'm also working with a friend locally, sending him one of my .CRW files to see what his PSCS does with it in comparison to mine.