How did this happen??????

pauly632pauly632 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited July 2, 2007 in Technique
I am a bit new to the digital age of photos, but I shot these two at the lake and can't figure out how this happened... Did my wife turn into a shapeshifter???????:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno If any one can enlighten me on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Pauly

166185890-L.jpg
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 2
Av( Aperture Value ) 2.8
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens 28.0 - 75.0 mm
Focal Length 28.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality Fine
Flash On
Flash Type Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation 0
Red-eye Reduction Off
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
Picture Style Standard
Sharpness 3
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Noise Reduction Off
File Size 3378 KB
Custom Function C.Fn:01-0
C.Fn:02-0
C.Fn:03-0
C.Fn:04-0
C.Fn:05-0
C.Fn:06-0
C.Fn:07-0
C.Fn:08-0
C.Fn:09-0
C.Fn:10-0
C.Fn:11-0
Drive Mode Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name unknown
Camera Body No. 0720309464

166185918-L.jpg

File Name IMG_4890.JPG
Camera Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shooting Date/Time 6/21/2007 8:11:12 AM
Shooting Mode Night Scene
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 2
Av( Aperture Value ) 2.8
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens 28.0 - 75.0 mm
Focal Length 28.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality Fine
Flash On
Flash Type Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation 0
Red-eye Reduction Off
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
Picture Style Standard
Sharpness 3
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Noise Reduction Off
File Size 3134 KB
Custom Function C.Fn:01-0
Drive Mode Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name unknown
Camera Body No. 0720309464
No matter where you go there you are!

Canon Rebel XTI
Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
Tamron 17-35mm 2.8

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    I think, because it was dark and because of the long exposure (2 or 1/2 sec?) the flash froze her, while she was walking by, but there was still time enough for the 'background' to come trough?
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Change your flash sync to "second-curtain sync" to avoid this in the future. It's
    in the Custom Functions menu.
  • pauly632pauly632 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    thanks
    ivar wrote:
    I think, because it was dark and because of the long exposure (2 or 1/2 sec?) the flash froze her, while she was walking by, but there was still time enough for the 'background' to come trough?

Thanks for the feedback.

Canon Rebel XTI
    Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
    Tamron 17-35mm 2.8
    edited June 25, 2007
    Thanks
    pyrtek wrote:
    Change your flash sync to "second-curtain sync" to avoid this in the future. It's
    in the Custom Functions menu.

I will give that a shot or I will call a medium to get my wife back.:D

Pauly

Canon Rebel XTI
    Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
    Tamron 17-35mm 2.8
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    wow.... totally without knowing it, you took two really cool shots. It is the long exposure coupled with flash - freeze.. as stated above... but, the shots came out pretty cool, keep them and sell em to the national Enquierer and tell them its the ghost of a woman who hunts that lake.
    Either that or you exposed your wifes biggest secret!...lol
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited June 25, 2007
    Ghost
    zacker wrote:
    wow.... totally without knowing it, you took two really cool shots. It is the long exposure coupled with flash - freeze.. as stated above... but, the shots came out pretty cool, keep them and sell em to the national Enquierer and tell them its the ghost of a woman who hunts that lake.
    Either that or you exposed your wifes biggest secret!...lol

The title in the Enquierer will be "The ghost of Falls Lake"rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for the insight.

Pauly

Ps All the girls have many secrets!!!!thumb.gif

Canon Rebel XTI
    Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
    Tamron 17-35mm 2.8
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Switching to second curtain won't help , the flash will just go off before the shutter closes and she may have walked out of the picture by then . You basically have two pictures , one with the flash which only reached your wife , and the other is a 2 second exposure [1/2 second ?] of the background which caught the ghost movement [ basically motion blur ] of her walking past . You either have to push the iso up to take it at a faster speed or set it at 1/60 Tv and have a much darker background but no motion blur .
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Close, but no cigar
    Pauly -

You've received a few good answers. The diagnosis is correct. The foreground was lit by the flash, everything else by the natural light let in by the long shutter speed.

I'm guessing you have a camera that has a feature called "night mode flash" or "slow flash synch" or one of the many other confusing names camera manufacurers use. The EXIF data on your second shot makes me think you selected this setting on purpose or by accident.

This feature causes the students in my classes no end of confusion. It's pretty neat when it works, but most of the time it just gives odd looking photos. Most cameras aren't very good at picking when the ratio of flash to natural light will give good results.

Now that you have your example photos, go back and read your instruction manual and see how this feature is described.

Generally the camera manufacturer suggests putting the camera on a tripod or steady support due to the unpredictable long shutter speeds.

By the way, second curtain synch won't fix this. It will only change when the flash fires in relation to the opening or closing of the shutter. Some cameras disable second curtain synch at longer shutter speeds.
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
    edited July 1, 2007
    georges wrote:
    By the way, second curtain synch won't fix this. It will only change when the flash fires in relation to the opening or closing of the shutter.

That is exactly why it will fix this. In first curtain synch the lady got exposed,
    but then the same area gets exposed by the background once she moves
    out of the way. In second synch, she is the last thing to get exposed (if she's
    still there, of course) and no ghosting occurs. I have tested this many times.
  • georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    That is exactly why it will fix this. In first curtain synch the lady got exposed,
    but then the same area gets exposed by the background once she moves
    out of the way. In second synch, she is the last thing to get exposed (if she's
    still there, of course) and no ghosting occurs. I have tested this many times.

Perhaps, but I doubt it for the general case. I would have to try it to convince myself. I believe a double exposure is a double exposure. It seldom makes a difference which of the two exposures comes first. How does the second exposure erase the effect of the first?

The fundamental problem is the "night mode" flash. The second curtain synch is a secondary issue.
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
    edited July 1, 2007
    georges wrote:
    I would have to try it to convince myself.

There you go.
  • IFGDIFGD Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Coool shot Pauly.thumb.gif