Slow Shopping Cart

bridgesphotobridgesphoto Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited June 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am a wedding photographer who uses smugmug to host and print my images. Weekly, I need to print between 500-1000 4x6's as proofs for my clients. The smugmug shopping cart can't seem to handle that many photos. (It used to!)

I emailed support and the only thing they could say was to break up the order into sections, but that would create hassles with paying additional (very pricey) shipping charges, and I couldn't even get the cart to handle half of my orders (about 300 photos). I've used two different computers and both Firefox and IE on both of them with no luck.

I just wanted to see if there are any other pros out there experiencing the same problems. I am currently reuploading my files separately to dotphoto.com to order the prints (Where adding thousands of photos to the shopping cart takes about 2 seconds, they are shipped just as fast with LOWER prices, and the print quality is just as good...)

http://clients.beyondthewell.com

Comments

• MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Don't know much about the shopping cart but working with SM has really been slow for me lately, Just sorting galleries and photos takes forever.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • chaberlackchaberlack Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Montec wrote:
    Don't know much about the shopping cart but working with SM has really been slow for me lately, Just sorting galleries and photos takes forever.

I'll second that. Slow slow slow. Tonight, processing photos is taking a long time.
  • cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Slow
    chaberlack wrote:
    I'll second that. Slow slow slow. Tonight, processing photos is taking a long time.
    Smugmug is going at a snail's pace. I have uploaded one pic at around 3MB and for like 10 minutes now, it still shows as processing.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    The weekends over and usally lots of uploads, so probably just have to
    wait for the large cue to process.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • bridgesphotobridgesphoto Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Just wanted to clarify-- I'm not talking about slow upload speeds. I normally don't encounter problems uploading, and I realize Sunday is a big upload day. I am just talking about the shopping cart's ability to handle large amounts of photos.
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Just wanted to clarify-- I'm not talking about slow upload speeds. I normally don't encounter problems uploading, and I realize Sunday is a big upload day. I am just talking about the shopping cart's ability to handle large amounts of photos.

I managed to get about 250 uploaded all at once today. It took awhile but they all processed ok.
    Cheers,
    Monte
    edited June 25, 2007
    Montec wrote:
    I managed to get about 250 uploaded all at once today. It took awhile but they all processed ok.

That's awesome, but I'm not talking about uploading. I'm talking about the shopping cart.
  • GKPGKP Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    There have been a few complaints about SM being slow lately and I think I saw another thread about the shopping cart not handling too many photos, The reply was to break the order down, if im not mistaken an offer to ship them as one was made as well...

heres a link took a bit to find :)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63770

-G
  • ckwheelerckwheeler Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2007
    definitly!
    I have had HORRIBLE experience today w/ smugmugs shopping cart!! i mean ALL DAY its taken to get 150pictures ordered and im still sitting at the shipping screen!!
    That's awesome, but I'm not talking about uploading. I'm talking about the shopping cart.
  • GKPGKP Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    ckwheeler wrote:
    I have had HORRIBLE experience today w/ smugmugs shopping cart!! i mean ALL DAY its taken to get 150pictures ordered and im still sitting at the shipping screen!!
    I will have to call some customers tommorow and see if they are having problems as well. I have been expecting an order on a wedding.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    We're sorry that some of you are having a time with the cart. Our engineers are hard at work to try and improve the performance for everyone.
    edited June 25, 2007
    Thank for for actually READING my original post. :-)
    ckwheeler wrote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about!!!!! If you can't even get 150 pictures to go through the shopping cart at all, then how many separate orders does smugmug suggest I should separate my 650 proofs into? Should I purchase each photo individually?? Pretty ridiculous

This should be labeled as a HUGE bug!

There are rumors of a new shopping cart, but no timeframe on when it will be ready...
    edited June 25, 2007
    Oh this is great, I had to go to bed leaving it in the shopping cart mode, now i go on there to finish my purchase and what happens...the cart is empty!!! GREAT NOW I HAVE TO FREAKING select them all individually and crop them again and take a whole day doing it! This is getting very rediculous!
    That's exactly what I'm talking about!!!!! If you can't even get 150 pictures to go through the shopping cart at all, then how many separate orders does smugmug suggest I should separate my 650 proofs into? Should I purchase each photo individually?? Pretty ridiculous

This should be labeled as a HUGE bug!

There are rumors of a new shopping cart, but no timeframe on when it will be ready...
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    ckwheeler wrote:
    Oh this is great, I had to go to bed leaving it in the shopping cart mode, now i go on there to finish my purchase and what happens...the cart is empty!!! GREAT NOW I HAVE TO FREAKING select them all individually and crop them again and take a whole day doing it! This is getting very rediculous!

I just had the same thing happen to me.

I'm about to scream. Growing old waiting for my shopping carteek7.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Over 3 hours spent today ordering a mere 150 photos!:cry

Lord help me. My time is much to valuable for this!
    edited June 27, 2007
    I had no choice but to finally give up and go to costco...they came out decent..
    Mitchell wrote:
    Over 3 hours spent today ordering a mere 150 photos!:cry

Lord help me. My time is much to valuable for this!
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    I am a wedding photographer who uses smugmug to host and print my images. Weekly, I need to print between 500-1000 4x6's as proofs for my clients. The smugmug shopping cart can't seem to handle that many photos. (It used to!)

I emailed support and the only thing they could say was to break up the order into sections, but that would create hassles with paying additional (very pricey) shipping charges, and I couldn't even get the cart to handle half of my orders (about 300 photos). I've used two different computers and both Firefox and IE on both of them with no luck.

I just wanted to see if there are any other pros out there experiencing the same problems. I am currently reuploading my files separately to dotphoto.com to order the prints (Where adding thousands of photos to the shopping cart takes about 2 seconds, they are shipped just as fast with LOWER prices, and the print quality is just as good...)

http://clients.beyondthewell.com

Last Thursday's software release introduced a nasty performance bug, which I've since fixed as of yesterday morning.

We're getting reports that the site is much faster, including the cart, but we're still investigating to make sure we got all of the bugs.

See also the preview of the first phase of our new shopping cart. Once phase 2, in particular, is live, the shopping cart will be blazingly fast and easily support many thousands of products in a single cart.

I'm terribly sorry the cart was bad over the weekend. Do let us know if you run into any other major problems.

Thanks!