Options

Need waterfall advice

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited July 3, 2007 in Accessories
I'm putting together a last-minute trip to do some day and night waterfall photos. Problem is, I don't have all the gear I really need to do a good job. What I do have is a 20D with a 24-105L. I don't yet have a tripod, a circular polarizer, or a ND filter.

The tripod on my list is the 3021 BPRO w/ 322RC2 ($270). The CP I'd eventually like is the B+W 77mm MRC CP ($165). I don't know how strong a ND filter to get, but it looks like anything 77mm-ish will be ~$100.

The main issue is that I can't afford to buy it all now. I can either buy the tripod kit and swap filters back and forth with my buddies or buy the filters and share a tripod. What would you do?

Thanks for the advice,
Greg

Comments

• Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    I'd get the tripod, that way you can take as long as you want setting up your shot and then just borrow the filter to take the shot. Sharing a tripod is probably going to take much longer unless you all want exactly the same shots.
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Id get the tripod and wait till it was almost dark and shoot 1 - 3 second exposures without the filters...lol or look for a cheap ND on ebay... I do suggest you buy something like the conkin "P" system and then get the square, graduated filters... much better results than a round ND IMHO.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Thanks for the replies!
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    I agree with the others on getting the tripod, though you may find that ballhead is not up to snuff. But it will work.

And I agree with Zacker on the Cokin P ND system. Especially if you're planning to use graduated ND. I've never been a fan of the circular ND filters, not enough control of the ND location, if it's graduated. And if you wanted to use it full on over the lens, you can slide the filter down to cover the entire lens - so it's double duty. I use HiTech filters and am very happy with them.

As for CP, I, too, would strongly suggest high quality, like B+W.

And have a great itme out there.:D
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Woohoo! Just ordered this and this! I can't believe I've been shooting with my 20D for almost three years and am just now getting a decent tripod. Thanks for the quick advice, everyone.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    Woohoo! Just ordered this and this! I can't believe I've been shooting with my 20D for almost three years and am just now getting a decent tripod. Thanks for the quick advice, everyone.

rolleyes1.gif You're not alone. I almost have a good setup--just still waiting on my legs to arrive.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 26, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    I'm putting together a last-minute trip to do some day and night waterfall photos. Problem is, I don't have all the gear I really need to do a good job. What I do have is a 20D with a 24-105L. I don't yet have a tripod, a circular polarizer, or a ND filter.

The tripod on my list is the 3021 BPRO w/ 322RC2 ($270). The CP I'd eventually like is the B+W 77mm MRC CP ($165). I don't know how strong a ND filter to get, but it looks like anything 77mm-ish will be ~$100.

The main issue is that I can't afford to buy it all now. I can either buy the tripod kit and swap filters back and forth with my buddies or buy the filters and share a tripod. What would you do?

Thanks for the advice,
    Greg
    Greg,

YOu do need a good tripod and a nice ND filter to really pursue waterfalls, BUT.... you have great lens for shooting waterfalls - since with IS and the wide end of the focal length, you can hand hold longer than you think

This was shot at 1/10th sec hand held in the rain

143766940-M.jpg

Just get out there and shoot. A Circular Polarizer will help you get a slower shutter speed too, but the 24-105 IS is a great lens for waterfalls; give it a whirl.thumb.gif

JUst remember that your tripod will still be useful, long after you have replaced your 20D with the newest, and latest whiz bang DSLRclap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Greg,

YOu do need a good tripod and a nice ND filter to really pursue waterfalls, BUT.... you have great lens for shooting waterfalls - since with IS and the wide end of the focal length, you can hand hold longer than you think

This was shot at 1/10th sec hand held in the rain

143766940-M.jpg

Just get out there and shoot. A Circular Polarizer will help you get a slower shutter speed too, but the 24-105 IS is a great lens for waterfalls; give it a whirl.thumb.gif

JUst remember that your tripod will still be useful, long after you have replaced your 20D with the newest, and latest whiz bang DSLRclap.gif

Very nice shot! Should be giving the new gear a field test this weekend. Will post some shots afterward. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    Well, I'm back from my first run out with the new tripod+head - a Manfrotto 190XB w/ 322RC2 (grip-action ball). Both were a joy to use! Also was able to borrow a CP and 10x ND from a friend who couldn't make the trip. Below are two of the better shots from the day, and the gallery is here.

168719976-M.jpg

168719983-M.jpg

Also, any tips on developing these better would be greatly appreciated! These are a simple tweak in Lightroom. Thanks!
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Those are some really nice shots, you did an awesome job.
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Very nice shots Greg!thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2007
    Thanks, everyone! It was a lot of fun. Got to find some time to go out again.