html gallery pages with photo cover?

moguemogue Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
edited June 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm able to add text only pages to new, i.e. an empty gallery, but how do I add a cover photo to appear for that gallery on my homepage? Thanks again.

lucy

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    mogue wrote:
    I'm able to add text only pages to new, i.e. an empty gallery, but how do I add a cover photo to appear for that gallery on my homepage? Thanks again.

lucy
    If you're referring to the thumbnail, in the gallery select the photo and in the
    tools dropdown pick "feature photo".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    mogue wrote:
    I'm able to add text only pages to new, i.e. an empty gallery, but how do I add a cover photo to appear for that gallery on my homepage?
    In rough outline, try this:
    1. put the photo you want to use in that gallery
    2. mark that photo as the one featured for that gallery (phototools)
    3. use CSS to hide the photo from view on the gallery page if you don't want it visible there
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • moguemogue Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    html gallery cover photo
    Allen wrote:
    If you're referring to the thumbnail, in the gallery select the photo and in the
    tools dropdown pick "feature photo".

Thanks much.

lucy
  • moguemogue Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    html gallery cover photo
    iamback wrote:
    In rough outline, try this:
    1. put the photo you want to use in that gallery
    2. mark that photo as the one featured for that gallery (phototools)
    3. use CSS to hide the photo from view on the gallery page if you don't want it visible there

Gotcha! Thanks a lot.

lucy
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    If you're referring to the thumbnail, in the gallery select the photo and in the tools dropdown pick "feature photo".

And to the best of my knowledge, you can remove the photo (delete or move it) from the gallery after making it the feature and the thumbnail will remain.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited June 25, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    And to the best of my knowledge, you can remove the photo (delete or move it) from the gallery after making it the feature and the thumbnail will remain.
    Do you mean actually removing it, not just hiding with CSS/JavaScript, and it will stay "featured" photo? That would be quite useful if it worked.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Do you mean actually removing it, not just hiding with CSS/JavaScript, and it will stay "featured" photo? That would be quite useful if it worked.

Yes, that's what others have said here in the past. I tried it once about reading about it and it worked with a public non-password protected gallery. I tried it with a public password-protected gallery and it didn't work (the gallery thumbnail returned to the generic padlock thumbnail). I haven't had a need for it so I haven't tried it again.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited June 27, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Yes, that's what others have said here in the past. I tried it once about reading about it and it worked with a public non-password protected gallery. I tried it with a public password-protected gallery and it didn't work (the gallery thumbnail returned to the generic padlock thumbnail).
    Interesting... thanks.
    Marjolein Katsma