Some baseball

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited July 3, 2007 in Sports
The game started at 11:00. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, so I had to use Captures dynamic lighting pretty heavily. They came out pretty good considering the light.

166572926-L.jpg

166573100-L.jpg

166572895-L.jpg

166573465-L.jpg

166573812-L.jpg

166574052-L.jpg

166574491-L.jpg

166574526-L.jpg

166574600-L.jpg

166574681-L.jpg
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    I seriously think your photos rival the quality of your snowboards.

Wow. iloveyou.gif Just amazing. At first, I thought they were a bit on the hot side, but considering the conditions and time of day, you did *very* well.

I can't really tell you which ones I like the best since they all draw me in for different reason.

I keep looking at the first one and keep thinking if he's safe. The same goes for the second. I think they're all first rate!

Where were you standing?
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    I seriously think your photos rival the quality of your snowboards.

Wow. iloveyou.gif Just amazing. At first, I thought they were a bit on the hot side, but considering the conditions and time of day, you did *very* well.

I can't really tell you which ones I like the best since they all draw me in for different reason.

I keep looking at the first one and keep thinking if he's safe. The same goes for the second. I think they're all first rate!

Where were you standing?

I guess I better get to work on those boards then.

On the first shot, the catcher missed the ball. On the second, the runner made it to the base before being tagged out.

I spend most of my time near first base. I shot this game with my 50-500mm Sigma (kind of a love hate relationship). I spent about half the time beyond the dugout and the other half between 1st and home.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• Clickr_GrlClickr_Grl Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    I shoot quite a lot of baseball as well and capturing some of those moments is tough. It's such a great feeling though isn't it? when you look back through your images and that one with the player in mid-air, or the slide with the dirt flying, came out just the way you wanted? what camera are you using? I may have missed it if it is oin your sig... I was too busy looking at those great images! Fun stuff! Great shots!
    :barb
    I am Mine!
  • BRATCHBRATCH Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    donek wrote:
    166574681-L.jpg

There's no way the runner made it to the bag on that slide. Do you have the photo of him coming up 6 inches short of the bag?:D
    If they hate you they have a subscription. -- Bratch
    edited June 26, 2007
    Clickr_Grl wrote:
    I shoot quite a lot of baseball as well and capturing some of those moments is tough. It's such a great feeling though isn't it? when you look back through your images and that one with the player in mid-air, or the slide with the dirt flying, came out just the way you wanted? what camera are you using? I may have missed it if it is oin your sig... I was too busy looking at those great images! Fun stuff! Great shots!

I was in love with my D200 for about a year. Then I started shooting with my D2H again for the newspaper as they didn't really need that kind of resolution. I shot this game with the D2H and find it to be such a pleasure to use. I just wish it was a bit higher resolution. The 8 fps really makes it easier to select the exact moment you want. I used the 50-500mm Sigma lens for this game as well. This lens is one of few that offer the ability to get the shot in the outfield as well as right next to you on 1st base. It has a relatively small apperature though and is a slow focuser. It really is a love hate relationship, but I'm getting better at anticipating the action and giving the lens time to lock on.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

edited June 26, 2007
    BRATCH wrote:
    There's no way the runner made it to the bag on that slide. Do you have the photo of him coming up 6 inches short of the bag?:D

I don't have that shot as I only kept this fram and the one after it. I don't know if I even took that one as I could tell well before he got there that he was out.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Wow those are some really great action shots. Good job!thumb.gif
  • girouardphotographygirouardphotography Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Great shots. I just did my first baseball game this past weekend. Used Sigma 135-400 worked ok. Might have to look at the 50-500.
    edited July 3, 2007
    Great shots. I just did my first baseball game this past weekend. Used Sigma 135-400 worked ok. Might have to look at the 50-500.

I haven't actually shot with that lens, but I'd say stick with it for now. It's f4 to f5.6 and 400mm is usually long enough to reach across the field to 3rd base and most outfield stuff. 135mm is about perfect for a batter shot taken half way between home and first. With practice, you'll get all the action at 1st too.

I've shot a number of games with my 70-200 and a 2x TC. This produces a 140mm-400mm f5.6. That was usually plenty of reach and got most of the close shots. The image quality with the 2X TC was degraded a bit, but adequate for newsprint.

Post your baseball shots. Lets see them.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com