Options

Anyway to get rid of the reflection on this yawning lion?

52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited February 15, 2005 in Technique
Due to some kind of safety concerns by the San Diego Wild Animal Park, they wouldn't let us on the other side of the glass. So this is the best pic I could get of the lion yawning.
Is there any way to reduce the glare?
Thanks!!
15912622-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I think it would be very difficult, 52. You might try playing with Curves or Contrast, see what you get. But I suspect it would take a pro, spending many hours on it, to remove the glass.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited February 15, 2005
    The best thing to do is to go back in time, and see what a polarizing filter could do to eliminate or minimize the window glare. That's probably not an option.

Shy of that, this is a tough case. The posted shot has tons of data missing where it counts. Don't know what image data is there in the original shot, but you could do something like this:

1. Copy image to duplicate layer.

2. Select the area to the left of the lion's face, where glare is worst, feather it to 15-20 (in this little posted size image), and duplicate that selected area to yet another layer. That is, the third layer you'll just have the feathered copy of that bit of selected area.

3. Clone part of the good rock face in the background ( from the middle layer) that closely matches the glared-out area. Copy that cloned info onto the selected third layer. Gaussian blur that to about 2-3. Use perhaps 'multiply' as a blending and slide back the opacity a bit until it matches the color of the rock above and below. Now combine layers two and three.

4. Next, select the area in the middle around the lion's face that is still glared-out with a freehand selection. Feather that to about 60-70. Copy that selection to another new layer above. Again use 'multiply' but do not blur it this time. Use the opacity slider to try to match the color and contrast density to the surrounding image. Again merge the top layers.

5. You should have now just the original bacground layer (that you haven't edited) and the top layer that contains the new picture. Make sure the top is active. Increase the contrast with your favorite method (s-curve in curves, or local contrast in USM, or anything else that does the job). Flatten the layers and sharpen.

Quick and dirty try...
    roar.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    cant resist a challenge.. had a quick go at it before rushing off to work.. any better??
    15932935-L.jpg
  • Options
    52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Both those look a lot better than the original! I'll have a try at your suggestions when we get back home.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Both are great but
    Lynn would please explain how you did your ver.
    Always want to learn new ps stuff thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred