Private galleries visible when I logout?

avekevinavekevin Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited July 19, 2007 in SmugMug Support
When I login to my main photo page, Smugmug correctly tells me that I have a number of private galleries that are not supposed to appear on my main photo page.

When I logout to "see what everyone else sees," I can still see the private galleries on the main page. What's up?

I wish it was easier to get a "public view" of your site.

Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    avekevin wrote:
    When I login to my main photo page, Smugmug correctly tells me that I have a number of private galleries that are not supposed to appear on my main photo page.

When I logout to "see what everyone else sees," I can still see the private galleries on the main page. What's up?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Do you have 'sharegroups' set up by any chance?

If you do, the private galleries that you have visited through the sharegroup will remain visible for one week. It is cookied. It makes life a little easier for those who you have shared the sharegroup with. You can clear the cookie if you want to, but people who have not visited the sharegroup, will not see the private galleries thumb.gif
  • avekevinavekevin Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Kevin,

If you do, the private galleries that you have visited through the sharegroup will remain visible for one week. It is cookied. It makes life a little easier for those who you have shared the sharegroup with. You can clear the cookie if you want to, but people who have not visited the sharegroup, will not see the private galleries thumb.gif

I sure do. Thanks for the help, that does explain it.

Kevin
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    avekevin wrote:
    It is easy to get a "public view" of your site. TTo "see the site the way your visitors will see it" and to avoid issues like cookied sharegroups is to use two browsers, one for logging in and one for visitors.

The most common pair is to use Firefox and IE. I personally use Firefox for normal work and IE for previewing what it will look like for viewers. The best thing about this is that each browser has it's own set of cookies, cache, etc... so if you never login with one, it will always show you what your viewers will see.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • HappySmuggerHappySmugger Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Kevin,

Ivar,
    I'm trying to replicate this but many times two or three (of five) of the the private galleries in my shared groups are NOT showing up in the gallery section of the frontpage. It's like those galleries are stuck or something. Why do some private galleries show up (when users visit a shared group) and others don't.

It's very fustrating. I'm using sharedgroups to give access to different galleries to different people. I need the galleries to be on the frontpage after the sharedgroup has been accessed. seems to work on sometimes...

any ideas?