Keywords Again !!

carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
edited June 28, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm trying to tidy up my keywords using the bulk caption/keyword tool but it is driving me nuts abd i would really appreciate some help.:bow:bow:bow:bow

Taking this gallery as an example http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/gallery/2639556

I deleted all the keywords that had previously been entered, saved with the keyword field empty, confirmed that no keywords showed.
Then I entered the following keywords:
"fabulous fezheads " " fig and date fayre 2007 " "winterbourne kingston"

However the following is what shows beneath the photos:
date fig fayre fig and date fayre 2007 winterbourne kingston fabulous fezheads

Why do the words 'date' 'fig' and 'fayre' appear in addition to the words actually entered? They also appear on the keyword page. The whole point of trying to tidy up the keywords is to remove meaningless single words that I had entered in the past.
For the record, I have cleared the browser cache, deleted and re-entered the keywords, waited for the system to update etc etc etc.

Where is Smugmug getting the odd three words from ? What implications might this have re the 15 word limit ?

Mrs (Almost) Grumpy ( yes I have re-read the postings from my last battle with keywords :scratch)
Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]

Comments

• iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    What implications might this have re the 15 word limit ?
    That one's obvious, isn't it? SmugMug makes up three from your phrase, so you get to use only 12. Of course with another key phrase in those twelve, SM will likely make up a few more again. If you're really creative with key phrases with many words, you might get as many as two (phrases) of your own in. :giggle

(Of course, you can still store more than 15 keywords/phrases but that doesn't help a whole lot without a whole lot of hacking.)
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited June 26, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    ...Then I entered the following keywords:

...Where is Smugmug getting the odd three words from ? What implications might this have re the 15 word limit ?
    That's very odd. I just tried something similar in one of my galleries, and I only got the quoted keywords that I entered. Then I copied your problem keyword (" fig and date fayre 2007 ") and had the same problem that you did. Then I looked again, trying to see a difference between what I had entered by hand ("flowers and wildflowers") and your keyword.

The quoted keyword that is causing the problem has spaces between the quotes and the words. And for some reason it is then building both the quoted keyword and the single word keyword. If you remove the extra spaces I believe the keyword will be built as you expected - without the extra entries. (At least it was in my test...)

So instead of
    " fig and date fayre 2007 "
    enter
    "fig and date fayre 2007"

I wonder if this is a bug or by design?

--- Denise
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Why do the words 'date' 'fig' and 'fayre' appear in addition to the words actually entered? They also appear on the keyword age.
    Are you absolutely certain that your individual pairs of quote marks all open and close correctly? ne_nau.gif
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    That's very odd. I just tried something similar in one of my galleries, and I only got the quoted keywords that I entered. Then I copied your problem keyword (" fig and date fayre 2007 ") and had the same problem that you did. Then I looked again, trying to see a difference between what I had entered by hand ("flowers and wildflowers") and your keyword.

The quoted keyword that is causing the problem has spaces between the quotes and the words. And for some reason it is then building both the quoted keyword and the single word keyword. If you remove the extra spaces I believe the keyword will be built as you expected - without the extra entries. (At least it was in my test...)

So instead of
    " fig and date fayre 2007 "
    enter
    "fig and date fayre 2007"

I wonder if this is a bug or by design?

--- Denise
    I remember reading somewhere many moons ago that when you're using preview in the bulk keyword tool that you should enter one keyword at a time. And when

Thanks for the responses.
    Denise you were spot on with your suggestion about the space between the quotes and words :D I might have noticed this eventually but I doubt it :((
    I had tried entering the words one at a time and had focused all my attention on this and couldn't see beyond it. Thanks very much indeed.

Despite the fact that I was dumb for not noticing this, perhaps Smugmug might pick up on this, others may inadvertently do what I had done.

Caroline

[/URL]
    edited June 27, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Despite the fact that I was dumb for not noticing this, perhaps Smugmug might pick up on this, others may inadvertently do what I had done.
    I noticed the spaces but didn't mention them - you do have your keyphrases in properly paired double quotes and SmugMug should parse those correctly.

This is a bug.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    I deleted all the keywords that had previously been entered, saved with the keyword field empty, confirmed that no keywords showed.
    Then I entered the following keywords:

The spaces between the quotation marks and (parts of) the keywords do seem to create un-expected behavior. This has been bugged internally.
    edited June 27, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    The spaces between the quotation marks and (parts of) the keywords do seem to create un-expected behavior. This has been bugged internally.

Cheers Ivarthumb.gif

[/URL]
    edited June 27, 2007
    More bulk editing woes
    Continuing my keyword saga -
    In my keywords I have 88 images keyworded 'coolins' cuillins' 'cuillin hills'
    and only 87 as 'the cuillins'. All 88 should have 'the cuillins'
    When I select any of the 3 former keywords that presumably gives me 88 images, and also includes 1 which doesn't have 'the cuillins' ? ??
    So I choose the bulk edit option for the 88 images, thinking that by looking at each one I will see which does not have 'the cuillins'. However I can only see 25 images in this mode - I'm sure someone has the answer to this, please put me out of my miserybowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow before I go totally bonkers

[/URL]
    edited June 27, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Continuing my keyword saga -
    In my keywords I have 88 images keyworded 'coolins' cuillins' 'cuillin hills'
    and only 87 as 'the cuillins'. All 88 should have 'the cuillins'
    When I select any of the 3 former keywords that presumably gives me 88 images, and also includes 1 which doesn't have 'the cuillins' ? ??
    So I choose the bulk edit option for the 88 images, thinking that by looking at each one I will see which does not have 'the cuillins'. However I can only see 25 images in this mode - I'm sure someone has the answer to this, please put me out of my miserybowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow before I go totally bonkers
    Don't know if this will work, but if you go to the keyword page for 'cuillins' there should be a feed link (if yo uhaven't hidden it, but you can look in the source code). Assuming the feed has all matching photos, that's one list; try the same for keyword 'the cuillins' and that should give you another list from the feed.

Note there are only feeds for single keywords (no keyword combinations).
    Marjolein Katsma
    edited June 28, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Don't know if this will work, but if you go to the keyword page for 'cuillins' there should be a feed link (if yo uhaven't hidden it, but you can look in the source code). Assuming the feed has all matching photos, that's one list; try the same for keyword 'the cuillins' and that should give you another list from the feed.

Note there are only feeds for single keywords (no keyword combinations).

Thank you this did help me to sort it out.
    Caroline

[/URL]
    edited June 28, 2007
    Keyword revision continued/ Google ranking
    I've spent many hours this week trying to sort out my keywords, the theory being that if my images are properly keyworded they will be found :D

Some of the problems were of my own making due to inconsistent use of words, and some arose because of an apparent bug in the bulk keyword/caption tool. It is a really useful exercise and if anyone is wondering why they are not appearing as they would wish in google then perhaps they should look closely at the keywords they have used.

The main purpose of my site is to show images of the "Mendip Hills" which are frequently referred to by other similar terms. I now have around 500 images keyworded with mendip etc and as long as 'photos' is added to 'mendip' etc in a google search, my site appears on the first page. I don't understand why other sites appear above me:-
    [SIZE=-1]www.mediastock.co.uk/photos/Landscapes/Rural/303/details.htm - 18k

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
    Caroline

[/SIZE]

[/URL]