Support for statistics and data mining?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
I hate the way smugmug reports statistics. Why can't it sort the galleries in order of bandwidth, conversions, hits, etc? I have thousands of galleries and when I'm getting close to my bandwidth limits it a big hassle to figure out why. Also I'd like to be able to figure out who was looking at what. I'd like to know how, was it via my galleries or an external link.

It got so bad that I wrote a little python script to scrape the info off the statistics web page and sort in order of bandwidth. This is definitly personal software, but if you gotta know, well, it works better than anything else I know about. If you want it, it's here: http://www.chezrutt.com/rutt/stats.py

You know where I'm going here. Give us the API to get this info ourselves and we'll write the programs to make better statistics reports. Please. Pretty-please?
If not now, when?

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I second and third that!!
    rutt wrote:
    ...Give us the API to get this info ourselves and we'll write the programs to make better statistics reports. Please. Pretty-please?
    Pleeeeeeease! :-)

WTG, Rutt! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

WTG, Rutt! thumb.gif
    Let's make a please-do-it-thread...I'm with you guys! So please add this feature that Nikolai and Rutt can implement it in their tools! mwink.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I agree, and I'd also like to suggest that the API get a little higher priority. Don't get me wrong, what is currently available is a good start, but it could definitely be expanded. The more features and functionality the API offers, the more developers will be attracted to it, and the more really cool things they will create. And when more really cool things get created, smugmug pulls even further ahead of other photo sharing sites. Seems like certain features can't be much more than a few lines of code away...
  • Aaron ChristyAaron Christy Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    The more features and functionality the API offers, the more developers will be attracted to it, and the more really cool things they will create. And when more really cool things get created, smugmug pulls even further ahead of other photo sharing sites.
    I agree -- very well stated! Smugmug has done a great job of adding additional features recently and probably because of that, the API lags a bit behind. It would be nice to tie into those new features.

Also, not to dump all over this thread, but onethumb, if you are reading this, can you PLEASE fix the AnonymousLogin method. It's totally not working and it appears to have not been working for some time. My project is sunk unless a fix can be made.

I would be more than happy to work with you in any way I can to test this out and get this method working as it should!

-Aaron-

Aaron Christy
    http://www.surfacedamage.com/
  • Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    i have to agree... on my private pics that i only have access to it says I have over 75 hits.. so that means that some how some one has access to it and the security is bad or the hit counts is off...
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    'twod be a plan :-)
    Ditto, when I actually get time to do some SmugMuggery... [Can I convert SmugMug into a verb?]

It would be great, screen scraping is a little tedious...

Luke

Nikolai wrote:

WTG, Rutt! thumb.gif