what determines 'large' displayed size?

jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited June 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
My galleries are set to 'all thumbs', default size is 'large'. I saw that photos in portrait orientation were displayed at 800 pixels high. So, thinking I'd optimize for that size, I resized some photos to 800 high and sharpened at that size, then uploaded. SmugMug then punished me by displaying those images only 600 pixels high.

What controls this? I'd like to size and sharpen my images as they will be displayed. Why does it change?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Here's how we make display copies:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality

And, we also sharpen the images for display, too.

We'll have SmugMungous at some point soon, we hope, and you'll get bigger portrait L's :D
  • jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Thanks - but I'm still not quite getting it. The Help section on Display Quality says this:

"If the original you upload is less than 801x801 pixels, but greater than 600x450, we do not make a large copy but instead use your original as large."

That seems to say that if I uploaded an image of 800 x 562, it would be dispalyed at that exact size, instead of being reduced to 600. Correct? But I've tried images at exactly 800, and well above 800, and both were reduced to 600. Some of my older photos are displayed at 800 pixels high, but I can't seemt to get any new photos to display at that size.

How do I get a portrait image to display at 800 pixels high?
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    jim_h wrote:
    Thanks - but I'm still not quite getting it. The Help section on Display Quality says this:

"If the original you upload is less than 801x801 pixels, but greater than 600x450, we do not make a large copy but instead use your original as large."

That seems to say that if I uploaded an image of 800 x 562, it would be dispalyed at that exact size, instead of being reduced to 600. Correct? But I've tried images at exactly 800, and well above 800, and both were reduced to 600. Some of my older photos are displayed at 800 pixels high, but I can't seemt to get any new photos to display at that size.

How do I get a portrait image to display at 800 pixels high?
    If you're viewing your images in the smugmug style, you will only see portrait images at a max of 600px tall. You will be able to see the large version of the image in the single image view which you can get to from the flyout photo menu bar when you hover over your image. You will see links there for small medium and large, click on large and your 800px tall image will be displayed. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited June 27, 2007
    As per my original post, I'm using "all thumbs" style where the large image comes up in a new page.
    edited June 27, 2007
    jim_h wrote:
    As per my original post, I'm using "all thumbs" style where the large image comes up in a new page.
    Hi Jim,

Right. And portrait Larges will be 600px high. Unless they are older images on SmugMug, before we changed it (early on, they were 800px high).
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    I suspect that the help page quoted above wasn't updated to take account of the reduction in the Large size...
    edited June 27, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    I suspect that the help page quoted above wasn't updated to take account of the reduction in the Large size...
    headscratch.gif "up to 600 pixels high"
    edited June 27, 2007
    >> Unless they are older images on SmugMug, before we changed it (early on, they were 800px high).

Not knowing that the rules had changed, I've been preparing 800px portrait images, then trying to figure out why they were displayed at 600, when older photos in the same gallery display at 800. Now I see that in fact, when I replaced older images with new ones, I lost the 800px and went down to 600 for good.

So my question has been answered, and all that's left is for me to say - just as a comment -that this is really disappointing, I've wasted a lot of time, and I wish SmugMug would get sort of get with the program here and offer larger image sizes.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Jim,

Right. And portrait Larges will be 600px high. Unless they are older images on SmugMug, before we changed it (early on, they were 800px high).
    11doh.gif11doh.gif my bad sorry! I forgot about that.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    I meant that the following bit on the help page hasn't been updated:
    If the original you upload is less than 801x801 pixels, but greater than 600x450, we do not make a large copy but instead use your original as large."