Pencil Drawing Trick with Photoshop - How?

colinrcolinr Registered Users Posts: 11 Beginner grinner
edited July 6, 2007 in Finishing School
I saw a post on the web where a portrait photo of a child's face had been rendered as a pencil (or charcoal?) drawing

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on this

Many thanks

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    This depends on the software you use for processing. If you use Photoshop you would go to Filter>Sketch>charcoal. Different softwares have different "artist" filters within the programs.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    A link would be helpful.
    Was is vector or raster art?
    Sounds raster, but w/o seeing or knowing for a fact. There's too many resources out there to point you in the right direction yet.

EDIT: I'm a real genius sometimes. I just looked at the title. Post an example anyway and go from there.
  • colinrcolinr Registered Users Posts: 11 Beginner grinner
    edited June 28, 2007
    Pencil Drawing
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    A link would be helpful.
    Was is vector or raster art?
    Sounds raster, but w/o seeing or knowing for a fact. There's too many resources out there to point you in the right direction yet.

I will try and find the post and hopefully you can assist - thanks for your post
  • PamRPamR Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2007
    Here's a good pencil sketch tutorial for you. It's by Bryan Duckett:

http://www.duckettphoto.com/lessons/pencil/pencil01.htm
    edited June 29, 2007
    This is the One!
    PamR wrote:
    Here's a good pencil sketch tutorial for you. It's by Bryan Duckett:

http://www.duckettphoto.com/lessons/pencil/pencil01.htm

Thank you so much for your post - this is the tutorial I am looking for - I have yet to try it but based on the results shown I am going to enjoy trying this out

You made my day -

Hope the other folks who kindly gave suggestions will enjoy this tutorial also
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Getting a "Hedcut" look
    I was looking for a "Hedcut" look like the Wall Street Journal sketches (WSJ actually has a department of artists drawing those by hand, btw. There is NO straight forward PS way of doing it)...

I came across this technique in a book by John Beardsworth which you might want to try...it's several steps, but I created an action which I used when producing over 200 of these for an annual report...

Here are a few treatments I put up for you: http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/2924435

1) Start with a portrait
    2) Duplicate the image layer
    Set the blending mode to Color Dodge
    Name it 'Blur'
    3) Invert the Blurred layer (the image will be white)
    4) Apply a Gaussian Blur to the inverted layer
    The blur radius determines the amount of detail you'll see. The result is a colored line sketch

- You can stop there if you like...or...
    5) Create a Threshold adjustment layer
    Slide the slider until the drawing fills in to your liking
    You can use as many threshold layers as you like with layer masks to seperate where the effects take place

- You can stop there if you like (my action did) ... or... colorize it like a cartoon:
    For each primary color you want to use:
    6a) Add a layer
    Set the blending mode to Muliply
    6b) Set the foreground color to a primary color - make the background white
    6c) Paint the area you'd like to color with that primary color (brush or whatever)
    6d) Choose Image>Adjustements>Threshold and drag the slider to the left until the primary color disappears (the color is now white)
    6e) Execute Filter>sketch>halftonePattern
    Set the pattern to Dot
    Push the contrast slider to the far right
    Adjust the size to match the image area
    Click OK

Repeat 6a-e for each color you want to work with...
    edited July 6, 2007
    Headcut
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    I was looking for a "Hedcut" look like the Wall Street Journal sketches (WSJ actually has a department of artists drawing those by hand, btw. There is NO straight forward PS way of doing it)...

Thanks for this - I will try this and surprise some friends with their new look

Should make an interesting change from traditional photos