Options

Macro & close up lens

stephenbrunostephenbruno Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited July 1, 2007 in Cameras
I purchased an B+W BWCU462 62 mm Close-up NL +4 Glass Lens which just arrived, for my D-80 and Nikon 105 VR micro lens. I tried it on the macro with varing results. I am wondering if I purchased the wrong close up lens? Or if I needed it after all or even if I should have purchased an extension tube (which one?).
Thanks,
Stephen

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    I've been doing research on this lately. For whatever reason the macro bug bit recently. ne_nau.gif It looks like the Kenko extension tube set is the way to go to get started. I've even discovered a bunch on ebay for about half of what B&H wants for them--with vendors pushing 14k feedback at 100% positive. :wow

From the examples I've seen using only the Kenko tubes on such humble lenses as the 50/1.8 (Canon's version) I am planning on trying that first. Then maybe looking at Canon's 500D diopter lens--though a true macro lens might be money better spent at that point.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    I purchased an B+W BWCU462 62 mm Close-up NL +4 Glass Lens which just arrived, for my D-80 and Nikon 105 VR micro lens. I tried it on the macro with varing results. I am wondering if I purchased the wrong close up lens? Or if I needed it after all or even if I should have purchased an extension tube (which one?).
    Thanks,
    Stephen
    I have a similar set up and I've been more than happy with the results.

Just remember, with a closeup lens or extension tubes, you should be focussing manually, and probably on a tripod.

Nikon D70 + Nikon 105 Macro + Nikon T4 closeup lens:

167487802-M.jpg

Check out the book "Close Up Photography in Nature" by Tim Fitzharris. He goes over a lot of the possible equiptment configurations for closeup photography and why you would want to use one configuration over another.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    I just got the set of Kenko tubes yesterday. I use to have a sigma 105 macro but didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. I still wanted to be able to get closeup pics so I figured the tubes would be an inexpensive alternative. I've only had them one day and already I like them.

I use them on my 24-105. I zoom out to 105 and that gets me a workable distance.

These aren't the best pic but for handheld in the wind I'll take it:

Without tube:

167972277-M.jpg

With all three tubes:

167972252-M.jpg

Not true macro but good enough for me.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Hmm, all three tubs at 105mm. Makes me wonder what it would be at 200mm? Then slap a 1.4 TC on there... AUGH! STOP IT! It's getting harder and harder to resist buying those Kenko tubes. :help
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    I tried it on the macro with varing results. I am wondering if I purchased the wrong close up lens?

J: I bought a B+W (+10d) Close Up lens for my Sony F717, and found it was horrible. The lens design was all wrong. It was a big mismatch.

H: The Nikon, Canon, Oly, Sony etc 2-element Close Up lenses should match up very well with your 105 Micro. Image quality remains pretty high. And you don't lose any light (vs. Extension Tubes).

J: I've used the Nikon 6T (+3d), Canon 250D (+4d), and the 3-element Raynox DCR-250 (+8d) on my Canon 100/2.8 macro. Been very happy with the results.

H: The Raynox turns even the "lowly" 50/1.8 into a star macro performer...

68228095.jpg

64653812.jpg

64520840.jpg

J: I would return the B+W hastily, and pick up one of the above mentioned lenses.

H: And/or an extension tube set.

J&H
  • Options
    stephenbrunostephenbruno Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Info
    Thanks everyone!!!

J: I bought a B+W (+10d) Close Up lens for my Sony F717, and found it was horrible. The lens design was all wrong. It was a big mismatch.

H: The Nikon, Canon, Oly, Sony etc 2-element Close Up lenses should match up very well with your 105 Micro. Image quality remains pretty high. And you don't lose any light (vs. Extension Tubes).

J: I've used the Nikon 6T (+3d), Canon 250D (+4d), and the 3-element Raynox DCR-250 (+8d) on my Canon 100/2.8 macro. Been very happy with the results.

H: The Raynox turns even the "lowly" 50/1.8 into a star macro performer...

68228095.jpg

64653812.jpg

64520840.jpg

J: I would return the B+W hastily, and pick up one of the above mentioned lenses.

H: And/or an extension tube set.

J&H