Canon 70-300mm DO IS lrns & teleconverter

photomagicphotomagic Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
edited June 30, 2007 in Cameras
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any success with using a Tokina 2x converter with the Canon 70-300mm IS DO lens?? Can you use autofocus all the way through or do you need to use manual at the longer focal length?

Thank you all...

Regards,
Michele

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Oohh. headscratch.gif

That's a f4.5-5.6 lens, the 2x converter will loose two full stops, making it a f9-f11. Um, I would say no AF is possible, even on the wide end. That's really ugly, and I'd expect the optical quality to degrade badly. I don't think the 2x TCs are a very good idea on the 70-200/2.8 zooms except in the most favorable conditions and stopped down to f8 (they are max of f5.6 with the TC).

If you can try it out without spending money, it can't hurt; but if you have to buy the TC to even try it, I personally would not bother.
  • photomagicphotomagic Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Oohh. headscratch.gif

That's a f4.5-5.6 lens, the 2x converter will loose two full stops, making it a f9-f11. Um, I would say no AF is possible, even on the wide end. That's really ugly, and I'd expect the optical quality to degrade badly. I don't think the 2x TCs are a very good idea on the 70-200/2.8 zooms except in the most favorable conditions and stopped down to f8 (they are max of f5.6 with the TC).

If you can try it out without spending money, it can't hurt; but if you have to buy the TC to even try it, I personally would not bother.

Thank you for your reply.

At the wide end, AF works, but the further you zoom out, it won't work. I wasn't sure if this was common with this set up or not. I have a friend who has this setup. The quality at the wide part with AF doing some test shots, is pretty good, better than you would expect.

I use the Canon IS L 70-200mm lens with a 2x converter with SUCCESS and BEAUTIFUL results. I have several friends and some in the professional photography business shooting action Equine stuff using the 70-200mm with a 2x and the results are lovely and of great quality. Last football season, I used the 2x quite a bit on the lens and it worked well. Once the sun went down and the lights came on the field, it was definitely more of a challenge with AF.

Regards,
    Michele Wassell
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    AF has got to be PAINFULLY slow with a 2X on a 70-300... AF on the lens without anything isnt stellar, with a 1.4x its slow and seeks A LOT.. with a 2x its gotta be real poor...

At any rate... when it gets dark out the first thing that should happen is the TC should get removed. By keeping it on there you are reducing your shutter speed by at least half... down to one quarter if you use a 2x. That'll turn a shot that I can get with 1/500th sec all the way down to 1/125!! Ouch!