Question from Picture Guy about Macro lenses and Cameras

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
edited December 26, 2017 in Holy Macro
Picture Guy sent me a PM asking.....
"what type of camera & lens did you use to get so close to get good quality bug shots? As good as those shots look you got it down.

However, I don't Sprorts yes -- Macros no. So, any suggestions on lens or other would be great! "

Rather than answering this type of PM where only he would get the benefit of an answer, I prefer to post my answer here so all can share.

The subject of macro lenses and lighting has been discussed numerous times here on dgrin by our Artist-In Residnece - Lord Vetinari, or Dalantec, Greaper, Skippy, and myself and others. Searching here on dgrin.com or Google will turn up dozens of threads for macro shooting.

A few threads that I found quickly are here

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=357620&postcount=7

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=548945&postcount=5

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=147801&postcount=2

http://digitalgrin.com/showpost.php?p=503073&postcount=3

The DSLR used is the least important of the choices - almost any of Canon or Nikon's DSLRs will couple nicely with a macro lens, as will many of Pentax, Sony, or Sigma with a proper macro lens.

Many Point and Shoot digital cameras can also do a creditable job if the lighting is of good quality. Lighting is the overlooked factor for good macros.:thumb

For example, This was shot with a Canon Powershot G5

7185254-M.jpg

And this with a Panasonic DMC-LX1

166203293-M.jpg

Read Lord Vetinari's posts, or some of JeckylandHydes, as well as my own, and it should quickly become apparent that lighting- either sweet natural light or good flash off the camera - is what makes good images, whether macro or not.

I prefer the longer macro lenses, such as the Taron or Canon 180mm macros, but the 100mm macros are great also. LV uses a 105mm Sigma for his images. The Sigma 150f2.8 is nice as is the Canon 100mm macro. The Nikon 60mm macro is superb optically. Good macro lenses and a good camera and light allow one to capture what the shooter's eye can see.
Understanding post processing of digital images is a great assett also.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Lord Vetinari's actually uses a Canon MPE-65 which is a lens that serves no other purpose but to shoot Macro, it will not focus on anything that is more than about 5 inches away from the front of it.

LV also uses other lenses, including using some in REVERSE attached to other lenses.

If your looking for just one lens to do Macro then you have to decide is that all you want to use that lens for, or do you prefer this lens to be able to be used for other purposes.

The Canon 100mm Macro is an excellent lens, it's very sharp, and can be used in conjunction with KENKO TUBES and other close-up filters.

You can also add Tele-converters to many lenses.... the example I used above will also take a Tele-converter as well.

So I guess it will also boil down to how serious you are about MACRO and how big your budget is, I use the Canon 100mm Macro, but my desire to get closer to the bugs is drawing me to move on to a Canon MPE-65.

The Closeness available from that lens, I have not seen matched by any other lens or ease of use, it is also amazingly sharp.
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    I like the Kenko tubes with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS.
    You can get back from your subject a little.
    And you get double duty from the lens.

22055374-M.jpg

65906681-M.jpg

23498950-M.jpg

Fred
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 28, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    I like the Kenko tubes with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS.
    You can get back from your subject a little.
    And you get double duty from the lens.

Fred

Like Fred said.....

I like to use the Kenko tubes also

I used the 36mm tubes with a 180 macro in my most recent macro shot post
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Like Fred mentioned, you don't really need a "macro" lens to do close up photography. By close up I mean less than 1:1. I regularly use the Canon 300 f/4 IS for butterflys, dragonflys, and flowers. Use extension tubes and/or extenders and you've got an awsome setup.

Here's one with the 300 on a 20D.
    92369827-L.jpg

But I do love the Canon 180L f/3.5 Macro for getting really close.
    140777246-L.jpg
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Something else I'll mention I have been messing around with my old 500mm f/8 mirror lens
    I know it's junk but everytime someone brings it up on this forum I go and get the damn thing back out.

Been playing with that lens and tubes I got a few keepers with this set up but focusing is a real bear.
    I post some when of if it pans out.

Fred