How to--photoshop crystal ball

tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited June 29, 2007 in Finishing School
Hello! I am looking for a tutorial on how to make a crystal ball with photoshop. I have found a tutorial for creating a sphere, and tried to modify it--see image below. However, it looks more like a bubble than a crystal ball. Any suggestions?

167581640-L.jpg

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
----Ruth Ann Schubacker

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Sorry I won't be any help, but I just wanted to say that is a cool looking shot!
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Sorry I won't be any help, but I just wanted to say that is a cool looking shot!

That's o.k. . I'll never deny anyone from giving me a compliment :D. Thanks!

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    There are some tutorials on creating Christmas tree ornaments that might apply here:

http://www.dwphotoshop.com/photoshop/glassornaments.php
    http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/ornament.asp

I found one a few years ago when I was making a Christmas card (not
    one of these - I lost the link), and it turned out nicely.
    John Bongiovanni
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    Hello! I am looking for a tutorial on how to make a crystal ball with photoshop. I have found a tutorial for creating a sphere, and tried to modify it--see image below. However, it looks more like a bubble than a crystal ball. Any suggestions?

167581640-L.jpg
    Some things are missing from your sphere: transparency and refraction in particular. In addition, you have a combination of blurry and sharp reflections which create a confusing effect as to what kind of surface you have. A clear specular highlight in the upper left quadrant would help as well.

You might try running spherize filter, followed by the wave filter, on the petal behind the ball, then lay the interior flower on top. Group those two layers and mask witht the shape of the sphere. Then deal with the sphere itself, fixing the reflections and highlights. Once that's done, place it on top of the previous two layers and put it in overlay or hard light mode—I'm assuming you don't actually have a black background in the current sphere. If so, re work it so your background is transparent. That should help.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    tlee wrote:

To add to edgework's suggestion, another element is specular highlights. I simply used the dodge tool to blow the highlights at parts of the sphere.
    edited June 29, 2007
    jjbong wrote:
    There are some tutorials on creating Christmas tree ornaments that might apply here:

http://www.dwphotoshop.com/photoshop/glassornaments.php
    http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/ornament.asp

I found one a few years ago when I was making a Christmas card (not
    one of these - I lost the link), and it turned out nicely.

Thank you so much for those links.:D

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited June 29, 2007
    edgework wrote:
    Some things are missing from your sphere: transparency and refraction in particular. In addition, you have a combination of blurry and sharp reflections which create a confusing effect as to what kind of surface you have. A clear specular highlight in the upper left quadrant would help as well.

You might try running spherize filter, followed by the wave filter, on the petal behind the ball, then lay the interior flower on top. Group those two layers and mask witht the shape of the sphere. Then deal with the sphere itself, fixing the reflections and highlights. Once that's done, place it on top of the previous two layers and put it in overlay or hard light mode—I'm assuming you don't actually have a black background in the current sphere. If so, re work it so your background is transparent. That should help.

Thanks! This makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate it!:D

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited June 29, 2007
    nikos wrote:
    To add to edgework's suggestion, another element is specular highlights. I simply used the dodge tool to blow the highlights at parts of the sphere.

Thank You! I appreciate the example of the changes to my image. They really made a difference. I knew I was close to what I wanted to achieve, I just needed to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks a bunch!!:D

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker