Options

Old Fall Scene - Methodist Church in Cades Cove

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited August 1, 2007 in Landscapes
I was going through some old 2004 photos trying to get them cataloged to bring them into LightRoom. I came across this old fall scene of the Methodist Church in Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park which I had never processed. This scene was shot from the Rich Mountain Road overlook.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Click on the image for EXIF data.

167494524-O.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    That's just beautiful, Dixie! Wish I had old stuff like that laying around unprocessed!!! rolleyes1.gif Do you ever process in B&W??? I imagine this one would work up nicely. But I do love the color version! thumb.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Wow Dixie, very very nice!!! May be you should start digging some more of your old stuff Laughing.gif. clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    FrogFrog Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2007
    From the looks of what I've seen in this site and especially this beautiful shot, my humble skills are going to be challenged.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    Glad you found it! I love the layers, colors and lighting! Well done! thumb.gif

Mike,

Thanks again.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    That's just beautiful, Dixie! Wish I had old stuff like that laying around unprocessed!!! rolleyes1.gif Do you ever process in B&W??? I imagine this one would work up nicely. But I do love the color version! thumb.gif

saurora,

Thank you for your comments. Here is the work up in B&W. ...and yes, I do some of my work as B&W. Here is my GSMNP B&W Gallery.

168016732-O.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Very nice as always

Fred

Thank you, Fred.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Wow Dixie, very very nice!!! May be you should start digging some more of your old stuff Laughing.gif. clap.gif

Thanks, Marina. I dig through them as time permits. It makes me wonder what I was thinking when I find some that I hadn't bothered processing before.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    Frog wrote:
    From the looks of what I've seen in this site and especially this beautiful shot, my humble skills are going to be challenged.

Thanks, Frog. Time to start posting some photos? clap.gif
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Both versions are equally lovely. Beautiful work, Dixie.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Dixie wrote:
    saurora,

Thank you for your comments. Here is the work up in B&W. ...and yes, I do some of my work as B&W. Here is my GSMNP B&W Gallery.

168016732-O.jpg

Nice Dixie! I like the B&W, too. All those layers are really amazing! :D
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Nice Dixie! I like the B&W, too. All those layers are really amazing! :D

Saurora,

Thank you for your comments especially about the layers. That is exactly what I was going for in the shot.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    Your color shot is an iconic image - perfect!thumb.gif

The B&W I find less engaging, and I do like B&W more than color sometimes, just not herene_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    What a great imageclap.gif

I agree with Pathfinder about the color, but it does work in both mediums because it holds the secret saucewings.gif
  • Options
    theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Frog wrote:

I agree whole-heartedly....this picture is amazing! I have just recently started really getting into photography seriously and I have read a couple of photography books over the past couple of weeks. This image is, in my honest opinion, better than half of the pics in the books I have read. I definitely agree on the layers aspect, this should be an example shot of how layers are achieved. Excellent!wings.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • Options
    NiloyCNiloyC Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2007
    Superb
    Very good, layers of trees really draws your eye in. Color version works for me better since it is also almost duotone between green and yellow with the brilliance of white thrown in at the right spot in the form of the church.

Thanks for sharing,

Niloy
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Wow how beautiful is that? Whoa...looks like a painting. You should have that hung up somewhere in your house. This picture is stunning!

Man I could see myself getting married in that little church. Oh wait headscratch.gif ...I'm already married...never mind. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Hey I'll be there (Smokies) this Sunday to next Friday. Too bad...I could've taken the wedding photos rolleyes1.gif

Cades Cove is one of my favorite places. I need to get there early one day (by myself!) so I can have time to get nice shots. It seems every time I go I'm stuck with sticking the camera out the window for pictures or jumping out for no more than a few minutes...Laughing.gif
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    I just stumbled across this one and had to add:

I like both versions, but unlike others, the B&W really kicks it for me iloveyou.gif

Can't lose with either, and if you have the wallspace ...

Thanks for sharing both versions, Dixie!
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Wow, I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, what a beautiful picture, the colour version works best for me, that's a wall hanger for sure, gorgeous. clap.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Your color shot is an iconic image - perfect!thumb.gif

The B&W I find less engaging, and I do like B&W more than color sometimes, just not herene_nau.gif

Thanks, Pathfinder.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    What a great imageclap.gif

I agree with Pathfinder about the color, but it does work in both mediums because it holds the secret saucewings.gif

Thanks, Marc, your comments are greatly appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    I agree whole-heartedly....this picture is amazing! I have just recently started really getting into photography seriously and I have read a couple of photography books over the past couple of weeks. This image is, in my honest opinion, better than half of the pics in the books I have read. I definitely agree on the layers aspect, this should be an example shot of how layers are achieved. Excellent!wings.gif

Thank you. If you enjoy photography half as much as I do you are going to have a great time with it as you get into it more seriously. Good shooting.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    NiloyC wrote:
    Very good, layers of trees really draws your eye in. Color version works for me better since it is also almost duotone between green and yellow with the brilliance of white thrown in at the right spot in the form of the church.

Thanks for sharing,

Niloy

Niloy,

Thank you for the kind comments and assessment.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Wow how beautiful is that? Whoa...looks like a painting. You should have that hung up somewhere in your house. This picture is stunning!

Man I could see myself getting married in that little church. Oh wait headscratch.gif ...I'm already married...never mind. rolleyes1.gif

Thank you for your comments. ...and you can keep it in mind for renewing your vows. My wife and I celebrated our 44th year of marriage last week (July 27).
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    kygarden wrote:
    Hey I'll be there (Smokies) this Sunday to next Friday. Too bad...I could've taken the wedding photos rolleyes1.gif

Cades Cove is one of my favorite places. I need to get there early one day (by myself!) so I can have time to get nice shots. It seems every time I go I'm stuck with sticking the camera out the window for pictures or jumping out for no more than a few minutes...Laughing.gif

Thank you. We probably crossed paths as I was there during the same period with two of my grandsons.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:
    I just stumbled across this one and had to add:

I like both versions, but unlike others, the B&W really kicks it for me iloveyou.gif

Can't lose with either, and if you have the wallspace ...

Thanks for sharing both versions, Dixie!

Thank you very much, Mick.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Wow, I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, what a beautiful picture, the colour version works best for me, that's a wall hanger for sure, gorgeous. clap.gif

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie