Options

Any problems with VR or IS lenses when wet?

hsswanhsswan Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2005 in Cameras
Has anybody had problems with a VR or IS lens when shooting in damp conditions?

I've been counseled by two pro photog friends of mine that I'm asking for trouble taking a VR lens on a probably wet motorcycle trip to the far north. It seems that one used his Canon 100-400 IS in a drizzle and burned out a motor. Knowing him as I do, I doubt it was a drizzle, but how much of a problem is it? Any birders out there who have field tested their lenses?

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    hsswan wrote:

I've been counseled by two pro photog friends of mine that I'm asking for trouble taking a VR lens on a probably wet motorcycle trip to the far north. It seems that one used his Canon 100-400 IS in a drizzle and burned out a motor. Knowing him as I do, I doubt it was a drizzle, but how much of a problem is it? Any birders out there who have field tested their lenses?
    All I can tell you about is the 70-200/2.8L IS. It's weather sealed and I've had it pretty wet on a couple of occasions, with no problems. I'm not sure the 100-400 is weather sealed, since it's a trombone*, rather than twist-zoom like the 70-200.

Here's a shot taken with the 70-200/2.8L. Yeah, it got soaked. The hood is critical to keeping water off the front element (or UV filter, as I have). The 20D is definitely not weatherproof, so you need to keep it covered pretty well (I used a gallon-sized ziplock freezer bag).

13445802-L-1.jpg
    Click image for exif info.

*pathfinder used this term and I like it! It means that it moves in and out to zoom, rather than having a zoom ring.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 15, 2005
    hsswan wrote:

I worry some about subjecting any high grade lens to sustained hour after hour vibration like you may be doing on a motorcycle trip to Alaska. I used a Pelican case on my GS last fall when I went to West Virginia, but with it attached to the subframe I am sure it did get some vibration. If I was you I might consider a travel zoom from Tamron or Sigma - the 28-300 mm zooms - they are much cheaper than a good L IS lens and less to worry about.

I have used the 100-400 in very dense humidity - I was under a tent for the real downpour - and the one thing I experienced was that the combination of the trombone zoom and high humidity covered my new 1DMKll sensor with more grunge in an afternoon than I had had on my 10D over the course of 6 months riding all over Colorado and New Mexico gravel roads. I did not change the 100-400 the whole afternoon I was shooting so it was not that the sensor was exposed - the lens was never off - the grunge either came from the camera or via the openings in the lens and I favor the latter explanation as the camera was clean when delivered.

I have not heard of the IS motors failing, but there are lots of things I am unfamiliar with. To show how humid it was while I was shooting with the 100-400 - here is a shot I got of an F-16 in a high speed turn - look at the moisture condensing in the low pressure area over the top of the wing.
    6085424-L.jpg

Love the high speed frame rate for this kind of shot thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    hsswanhsswan Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2005
    The VR lens I'm thinking about taking is the 80-400 which is one of those 'trombone' type lenses. High humidity was a hallmark of my first Alaska adventure and I'm still cleaning silt out of everything I took up there. It's hard to know what to expect but I'm beginning to think that if I don't find other fried VR motors out there then it might be worth taking a chance. It's really for those times when getting off the bike to take a shot is impractical or dangerous. I agree with you that taking a smaller less expensive lens makes sense especially attached to a DSLR, but then it's a lot easier to get a sharp picture hand holding a VR lens while sitting on a bike. It's for those times when moose or a bear suddenly appear and it's just me, moose and the bike. I've been charged two times too many as it is, so playing it safe for me is being able to get out ... fast.

About the abuse, I've tried putting the VR and D70 in the upper section of my tankbag which does dampen most vibrations, but it's a bit of a load up there weighing around 5 lbs, so for most of the ride it will live in the top case in a Lowepro backpack. I'm sure it will undergo more vibration back there, but on my practical side, where else would I find a better place to have a VR lens? As long as it's not going to fry the first time I take it out in 'high humidity' ....

FYI, I was told that it was one of the IS motors that shorted out in the IS 100-400 lens.