Options

Tall Ships

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited June 29, 2007 in Landscapes
Took this a week ago on the Washington coast from a boat. The two tall ships are Lady Washington (left) and Hawaiian Chieftain. This is a 16:9 crop.
C & C welcome.

167850062-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    cool shots - they almost don't look real...

I like how the light emphasizes how wind has filled the sails of the lady Washington.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    The ships are gorgeous in this shot. The overall shot has something of a surreal feeling I think because it feels like the horizon is missing. Are the ships coming over a swell?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    cool shots - they almost don't look real...

I like how the light emphasizes how wind has filled the sails of the lady Washington.

C.

Hmmm, almost as if someone enhanced that in Photoshop mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The ships are gorgeous in this shot. The overall shot has something of a surreal feeling I think because it feels like the horizon is missing. Are the ships coming over a swell?

Right, they are coming across the harbor bar on a calm day but there is just enough swell to make it seem that the Chieftain is coming over the horizon.

It's interesting. I have many closer shots of the ships but none have the painterly feel of this one. They are more majestic from a distance it seems. Additional note, this was taken with a canon 70-200 f4L which, IMO, is one of the best values of their line of lenses - amazingly sharp. I continue to gain appreciation for it the more I use it.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    I would shift the color of the sky towards a true sky blue...it's too purple as is. I tried it and wow!

Other than that I really like this one. thumb.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Only the water looks like a photograph. The rest looks like a painting. The combination of the two makes it look fake. I do like it however, it definitely has the surreal look. thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug