D70s depth of field preview problem

elbielbi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited July 1, 2007 in Cameras
Hello.

I have a problem with the depth of field preview feature on my D70s. When I click on it at any aperture setting I seem to be getting the mirror to go up - at least it seems that way because the viewfinder goes totally black. No image period.

Am I overlooking something in the custom menus or am I faced with a malfunction? When I called my local vendor he suggested sending it back to Nikon and mentioned that I should expect to be without my camera for 6 to 8 weeks. What will I do without a camera for that long in the middle of the summer?!

elbi
elbi.smugmug.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 30, 2007
    elbi wrote:
    Hello.

I have a problem with the depth of field preview feature on my D70s. When I click on it at any aperture setting I seem to be getting the mirror to go up - at least it seems that way because the viewfinder goes totally black. No image period.

Am I overlooking something in the custom menus or am I faced with a malfunction? When I called my local vendor he suggested sending it back to Nikon and mentioned that I should expect to be without my camera for 6 to 8 weeks. What will I do without a camera for that long in the middle of the summer?!

elbi
    elbi.smugmug.com

I suggest you try the DOF preview with more than 1 lens to make sure it isn't a lens related problem. Remember that if you are set at a small aperture, the viewfinder will seem very dark in a DOF preview.

If you find that it is a body related problem, you will have a decision to make, whether that one deficiency is enough of a problem to send in the camera. If you determine that it is a significant issue, worthy of the time and expense of returning the camera to Nikon, then just do it.

As far as how to get through the repair period without that camera, if you are making money with the camera, and you have commitments to fulfill, you should get a second body for sure. If you're not earning money with the camera, and if you are just concerned about missing some particular event or occasion, plan accordingly and send the camera in during a dry spell.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • elbielbi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 1, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I suggest you try the DOF preview with more than 1 lens to make sure it isn't a lens related problem. Remember that if you are set at a small aperture, the viewfinder will seem very dark in a DOF preview.

If you find that it is a body related problem, you will have a decision to make, whether that one deficiency is enough of a problem to send in the camera. If you determine that it is a significant issue, worthy of the time and expense of returning the camera to Nikon, then just do it.

As far as how to get through the repair period without that camera, if you are making money with the camera, and you have commitments to fulfill, you should get a second body for sure. If you're not earning money with the camera, and if you are just concerned about missing some particular event or occasion, plan accordingly and send the camera in during a dry spell.

Thanks for that Ziggy.

I have indeed tried this with two different lenses and at different apertures. The problem is not that the image becomes very dark, it is that the image area goes totally black.

I was hoping that there was some menu item I had overlooked, but it seems to be something that requires the body to be sent in for repair. Darn!

I am not a happy camper.

Has anybody had this happen to them? Does Nikon really take 6 to 8 weeks to handle repairs? (I would guess in my case it goes to Nikon Canada.)

Many thanks.

elbi
    elbi.smugmug.com
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    They told me 6 weeks for my D2Xs repairs. I had it back in less than two. I think it depends on what needs fixed and the parts available.

I think they tell you worse case so you will not be unpleasantly surprised.
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    elbi... I would suggest you contact Nikon directly and see what they have to say. 3rd parties can only speak from their personally experiences and yours may vary.