Wide angles in narrow canyons (many pictures)

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited July 1, 2007 in Landscapes
Ya'll have probably seen Aaron's (anwmn1) fantastic shots he got while we were in Page shooting the slot canyons. My shots can't compete with his, although perhaps the wider lens I used (the Canon 10-22) will offer a slightly different perspective.

Here is a selection of shots from three canyons we visited. Sorry for the length of this post -- it's tough to choose from all the shots we got down there. There are many, many more I would have wanted to post.

Upper Antelope Canyon. This was a guided tour, and it was fairly crowded
IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

#4 The ghost
IMG_3696.jpg

Lower Antelope Canyon. Self-guided, and only a few other people, which made it very nice.
IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

Next day was Canyon X, guided tour led by local pro Jackson Bridges. There were only six of us in the Canyon for as long as we wanted. Nice.
#11 - The approach
IMG_3878.jpg

"Never shoot the sky", said Jackson, well into this second day of shooting. The canyons work best with indirect lighting. Any direct lighting messes up your shots. Oops.

IMG_3892.jpg

There were some amazing chambers.
IMG_3839.jpg

#14 the gargoyle
IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

#16 Pro/guide Jackson Bridges helps Aaron's friend Sarah set up a shot
IMG_3921.jpg

#17 Aaron prays his shots come out OK
IMG_3994.jpg

Lots more shots in my gallery here.
http://www.jacara.com/cpg144/thumbnails.php?album=31&page=2

Thanks for looking!
-joel

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Last picture is a hoot with that caption. rolleyes1.gif
    Ghost one is really amazing. All shots look great. Enjoyed your trip in pictures.clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    It is about time you posted these. rolleyes1.gif

I really like shots 8 and 12. It is okay to break the rules every now and then. :D

Thank goodness I was praying and I had you to help recover those shots.
    It took FOREVER to get all the sand and dirt off me after that last shot!

Very nice Joel- look forward to seeing more landscapes from you!clap.gifclap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Cool shots! I really like #9 as well.

I get a bit claustrophobic in tight places - did you guys ever feel that way?

I noticed that your and Aaron's photos were slightly different colors. His more orange and red, yours tan. Why? Different post processing, different light, (different film?)

Thanks

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:

I noticed that your and Aaron's photos were slightly different colors. His more orange and red, yours tan. Why? Different post processing, different light, (different film?)

Thanks

Z

I shoot Olympus he shoots Canon... rolleyes1.gif

Joel shot primarily Apeture Priority where I shot full manual and was constantly making adjustments to get the look I wanted.

Post process for me was primarily sharpen, a little contrast, and sometimes adjustments to exposure and temp though very little since most of mine were jpg to start.

So far everyone that shot with us has had different looks and styles which made the trip that much better. So many possibilities!!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    KDog,
    I really enjoyed your picts. I think my favorites are # 5 and #7. The color on 5 really pops and # 7 the lines really draw me into the photo. Great job.

s:D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 1, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Last picture is a hoot with that caption. rolleyes1.gif
    Ghost one is really amazing. All shots look great. Enjoyed your trip in pictures.clap.gif

Thanks much for the compliments, Marina. I'm glad you like 'em. thumb.gif

-joel
    edited July 1, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    It is about time you posted these. rolleyes1.gif

I really like shots 8 and 12. It is okay to break the rules every now and then. :D

Thank goodness I was praying and I had you to help recover those shots.
    It took FOREVER to get all the sand and dirt off me after that last shot!

Very nice Joel- look forward to seeing more landscapes from you!clap.gifclap.gif
    Thank you, sir! Aaron, it was a pleasure meeting and shooting with you. Looking forward to the next shoot. Thanks again for instigating this trip. Great job on that. thumb.gif

-joel
    edited July 1, 2007
    Nice captures!

Thanks, Mike! Coming from you, that's quite a compliment.

-joel
    edited July 1, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:

Thanks

Z
    Thanks, Z. Good eye you have there. In addition to what Aaron mentioned, I made the shots a bit cooler in post processing so that they weren't all so far into the red spectrum. Dunno if it was the right thing to do or not, but it's different. ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks and regards,
    -joel