Options

Catch-22...going into business or not

~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
edited July 8, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I already have a successful career as an English teacher (although I suppose there are those thinking that a teaching career is not successful LOL). However, since buying my SLR in November I've really become passionate about photography, especially childrens' portraits. I've done a session w/ a friend (for free, of course), and also snapped some shots at my son's playgroup, but nothing else "real".

I would LOVE to switch careers and become a photographer, but I just can't see myself ever making what I do as a teacher. I have to consider retirement, benefits, etc. So, I am thinking maybe I'll just do some portrait photography on the side. Summers, holiday breaks, etc. Right now I need SO much practice, though, we are talking years into the future.

Anyhow, my catch-22 is that I can't justify buying good equipment, such as flashes, backdrops, lighting, lenses, etc., since I'm just a hobbyist, but I can't really do a lot of paid photography sessions w/out these things. What did you all do? Did anyone ease into a photography business like I'm thinking of doing?

Oh, and here are a few of my pictures if you're interested in looking. Feel free to tell me to scrap the whole idea if you think I suck. I can take it. LOL

http://theevanevents.smugmug.com/photos/sspopup.mg?AlbumID=3010585

Oops--it wants a password: it's evansfanclub (it's a family site LOL)

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I already have a successful career as an English teacher (although I suppose there are those thinking that a teaching career is not successful Laughing.gif). However, since buying my SLR in November I've really become passionate about photography, especially childrens' portraits. I've done a session w/ a friend (for free, of course), and also snapped some shots at my son's playgroup, but nothing else "real".

I would LOVE to switch careers and become a photographer, but I just can't see myself ever making what I do as a teacher. I have to consider retirement, benefits, etc. So, I am thinking maybe I'll just do some portrait photography on the side. Summers, holiday breaks, etc. Right now I need SO much practice, though, we are talking years into the future.

Anyhow, my catch-22 is that I can't justify buying good equipment, such as flashes, backdrops, lighting, lenses, etc., since I'm just a hobbyist, but I can't really do a lot of paid photography sessions w/out these things. What did you all do? Did anyone ease into a photography business like I'm thinking of doing?

Oh, and here are a few of my pictures if you're interested in looking. Feel free to tell me to scrap the whole idea if you think I suck. I can take it. Laughing.gif

http://theevanevents.smugmug.com/photos/sspopup.mg?AlbumID=3010585

Oops--it wants a password: it's evansfanclub (it's a family site Laughing.gif)

If you want to ease into it...there is no reason not to.....Here is how I eased into it....I found a set of lights I liked (Paul C Buffs White lightenings....looked at the different models and settled for the least expensive WL5000 (no longer made),,,,his low end Pro models are now the Alein Bees...great lights......a couple of nice umbrellas (nothing smaller than 36 inches - 48 inches to 60 is best), I suggest a while shoot thru and gold (gold warming effect)....2 lights to start (same model so you never have to worry about which is main and fill or background), 1 background- blk muslin, a set of assorted gels (from theatrical supply run about $4-5 each (2x3 feet) so starting with 3-5 gels and now you can have a variety of backgrounds for cheap.....or buy a large ( 10 x 20 feet)) chroma key background and a set of digital backgrounds from Pro Studio Supply or from Owens Originals or look in the back of shutterbug mag....shoot on the weekends (just don't get too involved and forget lesson planing).....practice practice practice is the key......if you do not rhink you can make it solo, then keep your day job for the benefits and work photography partime to make money for retirement or vacations and etc.......
    here is the real CATCH 22....as a person that wants to do pro work you CANNOT afford not to buy good equipment....by good I do not mean camera brand flashes and lenses.....look to name brand thrid parties such as Sigma, Sunpak etc etc.....nothing worse than having equipment fail during a shoot and have a client find out that your shooting with a no name pice of equpment....that gives the impression that your client did not deserve great care........I have purchased several items off ebay used and have traded up from there for items I could not justify buying brand new at the time.....it can be tedious not being able to purchase the best top line equipment to start with but if the passion for portrait and wedding work dies you do not have a fortune invested.......also remember it is an investment and also a tax deduction......just remember to dedicate a small room just for photography and that portion of your home is also deductible.

A Rebel XTi can do wonderful pro work.....it is not so much the camera body as it is the glass attached and also that which holds the camera and looks thru the viewfinder............

Get a decent post processing software and learn it.....there are a lot out there besides adobe.....I have used jasc and adobe and corel and found myself buying adobe products as they seemed a better fit for me and also because there is so much more in the way of resources for them compared to the others......

Good luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    kmlkml Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    I noticed you have a lot of outdoor photo portraits - why not start with that and then work up to the lights, flashes, backdrops, etc, as you build up your funds from those sales. The most endearing children's images would be outdoors where they are in their element, rather than in a formal studio under the lights - and you seem to capture them well outdoors. Just a thought.
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    If you're lucky enough to be near a camera shop that offers good used equipment, that might be a route to take in order to get better than you might otherwise be able to afford, especially if you're leary of buying sight unseen online. I was able to pick up some nice equipment that way that I would not have been able to get otherwise.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    kml wrote:
    I noticed you have a lot of outdoor photo portraits - why not start with that and then work up to the lights, flashes, backdrops, etc, as you build up your funds from those sales. The most endearing children's images would be outdoors where they are in their element, rather than in a formal studio under the lights - and you seem to capture them well outdoors. Just a thought.

This is a good idea, however you still need a realiable off camera flash for fill flash even out of doors.....I do prefer fill flash over reflectors in portraits due to ease of use and really no extra hands needed.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    If you're lucky enough to be near a camera shop that offers good used equipment, that might be a route to take in order to get better than you might otherwise be able to afford, especially if you're leary of buying sight unseen online. I was able to pick up some nice equipment that way that I would not have been able to get otherwise.

As to buying on line.....make sure the seller has a return policy and accepts paypal....if they want MO, Money transfer do not buy from them ...absolutely no protection......

• Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Hi Jan,

I was in the same boat that you were about a year ago. For me, starting at it part-time has worked out well. It's a balancing act having a job, a kid and a side job, but if it's your passion it won't really feel like an extra job anyway. At least for me it hasn't.

I was having the great equipment debate as well. I still don't have much, but it seems to have worked out so far. I just shoot outdoors and on location, no studio stuff yet. I guess I'm saving up, but I also like shooting people in their element, kids especially. The photos just come out so much more natural looking. And if you have a good eye, which it looks like you do, then in my opinion the rest is gravy.

I shot a wedding as the 2nd shooter with a photographer friend of mine and he has loads and loads of equipment. It took him so much time and effort getting it all set up. I came with my camera, two lenses and an on camera flash. I checked out the proofs he posted and I honestly couldn't really tell the difference between his shots and mine. Our photos blended together well. So that spoke volumes to me. I was getting all caught up in everything I didn't have, but when it came down to it a lot of it is about using what you've got... using it well and using it creatively, but in my opinion you don't need to invest thousands of dollars to start making money.

Plus if you're honest with your clients and just lay it all out how you operate, in my experience they don't really care about everything you don't have. Your photographs will speak for themselves. I'm a beginning photographer with beginning photographer pricing. And I think portrait photography has been a really fun and fairly easy way to get into the business.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    Thanks, Lisa; it's good to hear from someone who's in my same boat! You are right, it definitely doesn't feel like "work" to me. I tell my husband that my photography is like his T.V. watching. Laughing.gif

I am going to take it slowly and see what happens. I've always wanted to quit teaching once my son enters kindergarten so I can be more involved, so maybe that would be a good time to push it forward (that is in 2 years).
  • Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Thanks, Lisa; it's good to hear from someone who's in my same boat! You are right, it definitely doesn't feel like "work" to me. I tell my husband that my photography is like his T.V. watching. Laughing.gif

I am going to take it slowly and see what happens. I've always wanted to quit teaching once my son enters kindergarten so I can be more involved, so maybe that would be a good time to push it forward (that is in 2 years).
    That sounds like a good plan! Plus when your son gets into school that will give you some great time to work on post processing when he's away at school! Right now I use nap time for that. In the meantime use every opportunity to build up your portfolio and your client base. Friends and family just love when we get together and I bring along the camera and actually get good pictures of their family and their kids! And now I'm actually starting to get work from 2nd tier customers (like friends of friends) and actual strangers which is pretty exciting! Word of mouth advertising is great, but it can be slow unless you're really intentional about promoting your business, so it might be a good idea to start getting the word out soon.

I heard somewhere if you take every opportunity to do what you love, even if you aren't getting paid for that it will eventually pay off. I can't tell you how true that is! I'm on our photography team at my church - a completely volunteer position. I can't tell you how many jobs I've gotten before people have even seen my work. I guess people figure since I always have my camera (and it's an SLR) and I'm friendly that I'd be easy to work with and I must be an ok photographer since I'm always shooting. :D Hey, that works for me!

Have a fun summer!
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    Yeah, I'm using naptime now, too. And after my son & husband go to bed. But, during the school year, I'll have a lot less time, so the summer is going to have to be my main photography time.

We'll see how it goes...my town is dinky and there are already 2 good photographers here, but neither of them are really "modern" KWIM.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    That's where I'm heading now. Unfortunately, yet fortunately, my company decided to close locations and I became unemployed. I was hoping for a few more months and I would have been on my way out anyway.

Unfortunately, because I was working on purchasing equipment. Fortunately, because it gives me more time to work on a business plan and have a foundation.
    I'm still working towards it doing photography lessons, etc...
    And when I'm ready, I'll be able to pull out of savings, borrow from family, maybe even get a loan if I finish a business plan.
    We'll see how it goes...my town is dinky and there are already 2 good photographers here, but neither of them are really "modern" KWIM.
    you may want to take advantage of that lack. See what they offer compared to what you want to offer, or maybe work and grow with them?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    At some point all of us will really need a studio of sorts and as I stated earlier I have always bee a less is more kinda person....it is much easier to store 10 colored gels than it is to store 10 muslins (not to mention the money savings)....I have been putting off an outdoor shoot due to the freaking rain here and that made me start looking again at backdrops.....chroma key to be precise....I have found them for $55 to $130 (10 x 12' to 12 x 24') at AMVONA.com.....looking else where i found them all the way over $1k for the 12x24.......these have one end grommeted and one end with a 4" pipe sleeve (for cross bar type background holders).....this with a little ps work to create your own old masters backgrounds can give you that studio on a real budget........amvona also has some cd's with digital backgrounds and ones I have really been impressed with are from Owens Originals......but since we all have our digital cameras and some sort of Post Processing software the background could just be created by the individual photographer.

• Options
    Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Books
    There's several really good books on the shelves at Barnes and Noble that show how to shoot good portraits using available light and some cheap equipment. For example, one says to bring a semi-transparent curtain along and hang it over a window and have the subject sit near the window. The effect is very natural looking and is similar to a softbox because the curtain softens and diffuses the light.

Also get a flashgun and a small reflector to diffuse. You can find used flashguns for relatively inexpensive prices and being able to bounce the light off a wall, ceiling, or the small reflector will be head and shoulders above the result you get with on-camera flash.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Some tips!
    I think starting a side business while working full time as teacher is a great idea. You'll be busy though! Regardless, it's going to take a while to build up the skill, equipment, client base, reputation, and business skill to make it full time.

In the mean time:

START THE BUSINESS! then talk to a tax professional about writing off your gear and other related expenses against your other household income. It makes gear cheaper.

START SMOKING! then stop smoking. And with the money you save buy some more gear! clap.gifrolleyes1.gif

And just because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw1MFobWD_o

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Good info on here!! Really all you really need is a 580EX, diffuser, a couple decent primes (50/1.4 or 85/1.8 are great portrait lenses)... go to it! Shoot afternoons after school, and do shoots on the weekend. Both my fiancee and I hold 9-5 jobs and we go out on weekends and shoot horse shows. Now only are we doing something together, we are having fun, making a damn decent amount of pocket change, and we have a legitimate reason to deduct like every freaking thing in our live! I'm talkin apartment, internet, food, car expenses, camera equiptment, computers, etc!! Put it this way... last year I deducted enough stuff to make $500 ADDITIONAL back from uncle sam off my 9-5 job income tax (without having to lie). Its also a topic of discussion and family members love hearing about our success together. I can't think of one thing bad... oh wait... I can't play guitar during the day on weekend cause I'm out shooting and having fun :D

as far as lighting, backdrops, and all that stuff... yeah it may be cool to have a studio, but studio work can be borrrring... get outside and find interesting places to take portraits! Backdrops can only go so far...
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Van Isle wrote:

lemmie break it down for you so you know what I say is true!! WORD UP! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2007
    Thanks guys! This is really good advice. I actually started a webpage...so we'll see where things go!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Jan, your posts have been very interesting for me to follow, as I'm just beginning to think more seriously about upgrading to a pro account and making a transition from doing everything for "free + the experience" to possibly helping to pay for my Smug site and hopefully some equipment! I like to help out my friends, but I've also had a couple cases where I've felt taken advantage of a bit. Since I'm getting asked to do a little more, I think having a good system in place would alleviate any angst on my part and keep things more simple and straight-forward for those I'm working with. I'm not looking to make big bucks here, but even a couple bucks here and there would help with upgrading equipment and me not feeling used! Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and say I'm reading your thoughts and the advice you're getting with great interest!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Jan and Elaine-

After seeing the work both of you have posted I am suprised that you do not have proaccounts and are not doing photography as any sort of business. Both of you do great work with outdoor lighting and child candids.

I, like others that have posted here, have a regular full time career, a child, and try to pursue the photography when I am available. I intially got the pro account and had just hoped to make enough to cover its cost and my drive time to and from any shoots I may have. I am happy to say I surpased that- no by enough to do it full time but definetly enough to know I made the right choice.

Here are some suggestions:

Find a local wedding or portrait shooter and see if they need any help. If they are any good they can use a second shooter (if they do not already have one). I work with local company and I make a 4th photographer for them which allows them to double book and still have two shooters at each wedding. They also just won best wedding photographers in Phoenix by a wedding magazine and I was asked to be there to receive the award with them. This company has also encouraged me market myself as freelance to other companies if they are not keeping me busy enough and they would be a reference for me.

It was mentioned earlier about being open and honest with your potential clients about your expereince and gear. I totally agree with this and do it myself. I also base my prices off this as well so I can still make enough for it to be worthwhile for me and still a good price for them. My pricing also allows me to customize it for each individual shoot depending on what they are looking for.

Don't worry about buying all the gear up front. Build up to it and use the money you make from shooting for the gear you want. You both do excellent outdoor work- so capitalize on that and worry about the studio later. I will have room for a studio in my new home but there are already other local photographers with studios (I also live in a very small town). They do not do much outdoor work so I see this as an opprotunity for me.

Get the pro account- adjust your pricing to something that you are comfortable charging but can still make some money and continue to post of here.

Best of Luck!!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2007
    Hi Elaine! GLad to know I have company in my dilemma. :)

Aaron, thanks for the advice. I actually recently upgraded to a pro account. I already had the power account to store my own personal photos. I use it to host photos for my family blog, to back up photos, and then to order prints. LOVE IT. I am like a little Smugmug marketer among my friends here. Laughing.gif So, going up to Pro wasn't a huge price difference for me. I love that it allows me to set prices, and I currently have it set to make $1-2 a print. I know that's peanuts, but I'm currently working w/ my very best friends & family and don't want to "really" charge them. However, I do want to start making a little cash and still have them feel like they're getting a good deal. I'll let you know how it goes.

Elaine, feel free to PM me or e-mail me at cjscott@mchsi.com if you ever want to chat about our sorta-businesses. Laughing.gif