Options

LPS 8 ideas

Comments

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Good Ideam but you need to take it again. Cut back on the ISO (the color noise here is too high), use a tripod, and get your model to hold very still.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Love #2 but it's too noisy as-is. Can you reshoot?'

Jesse
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Love #2 but it's too noisy as-is. Can you reshoot?'

Jesse

agree with what the others say, i also wonder if the subject's silhouette was in focus and the bg was out of focus? my eyes are wondering what to look at.

its a really great concept and a lovely vantage point, worth reshooting if you can!thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    i also wonder if the subject's silhouette was in focus and the bg was out of focus?

YES! This would look awesome.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Thanks for all the tips....
    But I don't know how to make the blur go away.
    You see, the problem is that its a 30 second exposure, and holding still in that position for 30 seconds.... well
    So I have these options
    1. Use a wide angle lens, set ISO to 400 and take a 5 second exposure. Even that will have slight blur, as the hands will move, only if slightly
    2. Reshoot in the evening where I can afford to use faster shitter speeds?

I will not get city lights in the background if I shoot in evening, thats the trouble.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    But I don't know how to make the blur go away.
    You see, the problem is that its a 30 second exposure, and holding still in that position for 30 seconds.... well
    So I have these options
    1. Use a wide angle lens, set ISO to 400 and take a 5 second exposure. Even that will have slight blur, as the hands will move, only if slightly
    2. Reshoot in the evening where I can afford to use faster shitter speeds?

I will not get city lights in the background if I shoot in evening, thats the trouble.

Hmmm. will have to think on this....what an interesting challenge! I am sure we can help you hammer this one out.

First of all the motion blur in her arms doesn't bother me, but what indiegirl and I were saying is to actually have her silhouette in focus, and maybe shoot wide open (f4? f2.8?) to throw the lights out of focus.

Do you have wireless flash capabilities?

what are the current settings for #2? f value, iso, etc
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    Here is the full exif
    http://tanveer.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=168128249
    This was shot with a 75-300mm lens, at F10
    for the next shot I will use the 50mm 1.8 wide open. This should give a much faster shutter speed.
    I can use only inbuilt flash, no external flash here!

I guess with ISO 400, F1.8 I can have it down to 2-3 seconds of exposure.
    Also do let me know if instead of city lights I have the sunset sky in backgound?
    The monsoon's here, so the sky's beautiful.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    If you don't have a tripod available, try using a bean-bag type pillow to set the camera on and use the timer to fire the camera. This way you don't have to hand hold the camera.

Winston
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Love this idea!!! (And the idea is the greatest battle, the rest is just technical)

Options/Ideas?
    1. Reshoot in the twilight just after sunset so you still have lights in the background but more light overall - may also get a more pleasing sky - I love the blue of twilight sky before it turns black.
    2. Shoot two frames with different focus points - one with focus on the person, one with focus on the background and then put them together in photoshop (or equivalent) later. This gives you options, you may like the one with the background blurred just fine but at least you have options.
    3. Try lots of different things, like just the sunset in the background as you mentioned, the sunset afterglow and lights, etc. Try more of the "Muench star" before sunset (reference to starburst effect with stopped down lens in posts in Field and Street here on dgrin - you may have been doing this but need a smaller aperture for better effect)
    4. Try without a silhouette using a fill flash on the person in different poses (arms up, arms down, eyes closed with sedate expression) and flash in different positions - straight on, off camera to the side, up, down but be careful to tone the flash down if you can - don't make it look like a flash picture.
    5. Next level - think about what your message is beyond just sedate, what you would like to convey about culture or an idea. Incorporate this into the image.
    6. Have fun with it!!!

Got a winner here with a reshoot. Great concept!!!:D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Super idea!!! I was sitting here thinking of a solution and then read Seastacks' comment! I am glad I was thinking in the right direction, but I don't have the practical experience of combining 2 shots in PS! I agree about shooting at dusk for a prettier sky. Look forward to seeing your progress! :D
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    If you don't have a tripod available, try using a bean-bag type pillow to set the camera on and use the timer to fire the camera. This way you don't have to hand hold the camera.

Winston
    Umm, I have a tripod, I was talking about the model keeping still for 30 sec
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Love this idea!!! (And the idea is the greatest battle, the rest is just technical)

Options/Ideas?
    1. Reshoot in the twilight just after sunset so you still have lights in the background but more light overall - may also get a more pleasing sky - I love the blue of twilight sky before it turns black.
    2. Shoot two frames with different focus points - one with focus on the person, one with focus on the background and then put them together in photoshop (or equivalent) later. This gives you options, you may like the one with the background blurred just fine but at least you have options.
    3. Try lots of different things, like just the sunset in the background as you mentioned, the sunset afterglow and lights, etc. Try more of the "Muench star" before sunset (reference to starburst effect with stopped down lens in posts in Field and Street here on dgrin - you may have been doing this but need a smaller aperture for better effect)
    4. Try without a silhouette using a fill flash on the person in different poses (arms up, arms down, eyes closed with sedate expression) and flash in different positions - straight on, off camera to the side, up, down but be careful to tone the flash down if you can - don't make it look like a flash picture.
    5. Next level - think about what your message is beyond just sedate, what you would like to convey about culture or an idea. Incorporate this into the image.
    6. Have fun with it!!!

Got a winner here with a reshoot. Great concept!!!:D
    Thanks for the tip.
    I am gravitating more towards the twilight scenario because a petson can be still completely for just 1-2 seconds. Anything more and you will have blur.
    Another thing could be shooting a underexposed image at dusk, and then shooting the background later.
    For background exposures, it does not matter how long the exposure is!
    As for the fill flash, I don't have an external flash, so i will try to do all the experiments without flash.
    Tonight its already 10:15pm here in India, so tomorrow evening I will do the reshoot at dusk.

Thanks for the tips :)
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Neat Ideas
    seastack wrote:

Great concept!!!:D

Tom,

Great synopsis...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Tanveer i like it very much may be black n white headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Definitely a great concept! I'm not sure you need the city lights in the background, though. headscratch.gif

I would try for a silhouette against a sunset-colored sky. This way you get a beautiful background and your model would only have to be still for a second or two, if that. Another option might be to not silhouette the model and show some of his/her face. Your concept has a lot of possibilites! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    After the reshoot
    Its raining heavily most evenings, so can't get shots that time, so had another try at night
    169551391-L.jpg
    Older image with Lesser noise
    169558843-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Its raining heavily most evenings, so can't get shots that time, so had another try at night
    169551391-L.jpg

wow, I love this one!!! I think the focus and sky color are much improved. The noise is definitely not as big of a deal as what is in focus! I like her barely silhouetted effect, of course you could always dodge her into more of a shadow if that is what you were going for. Either way, I think you have a great entry here, well worth the reshoot effort!!! thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    I see that you've entered this one. It was well worth the reshoot! thumb.gif

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Noise reduction
    Have you tried Noise Ninja?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Your reshoot turned out great! I love the 'new' colors of the sky, much prettier. And the background is less busy and softly OOF, which puts the attention on her. I also like it better without the starbursts. Good job!!1 thumb.gif