Taping pins on TC

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited July 1, 2007 in Technique
Since I've been using taped pins on my Canon TCx1.4 (along with 100-400) a lot, I thought I'd write a little how-to.

The problem with TC is that entry level DLSR (in Canon world - non-1D series) only autofocus with the lens as fast as f/5.6. Since TC effectively adds the whole stop (and TCx2 adds two), the lenses like 100-400L f/4.0-5.6 simply won't autofocus. While this is not a problem for a fast glass (f/2.8.. f/4) or better cameras (aforementioned 1D series), us mere mortals have to find a workaround.

It's has been noticed that first three pins on TC are used only to communicate the extender info to the camera. Hence came the idea to put a piece of a very thing non-conductive material over them and thus effectively fool the camera into thinking it operates with the lens alone.

Caveats:
1) You need to dial 1EV exposure compensation (or count for that in full manual mode), otherwise your picture will be full 1 stop underexposed
2) It is NOT recommended to use lens in AF mode, since there will be A LOT of "focus hunting", thus causing a lot of wear and tear on the AF mechanism. Instead, switch the lens to MF mode and simply use focus confirmation.
3) TC presence/info will be missing in the EXIF (duh)

From my personal POV, the troubles with taping and hassles of exposure compensation are way paid off by keeping the ability to focus correctly.

As to the procedure - it's simple, fast and very forgiving. A bit akin to the wet sensor cleaning (but much cheaper, virtually free) - looks menacing at first, but after you did it once or twice, there is really nothing to it.

Original tutorial here.

Sample advantage: for the life of me I cannot manually focus on the moon. God knows, I tried. I was getting a sharp shot occasionally, but it was pure luck and that luck was rare indeed. After taping the pins the situation reversed, I barely miss a moonshot. :deal
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Good morning Nikolai.

Excuse me but I don't quite understand the advantage of taping the 3 pins.
    I have been reading your thread over and over but something is missing me may be because I don't understand two or three key words.ne_nau.gif

If we have to compensate for the exposure and we can not - or are not supposed to - use the AF, what's the advantage of taping the 3 pins ?

When I shot the Moon I could use MF, switching it off on the lens itself.
    And you could not. I must be misunderstanding something.

I count on you to give me the necessary tip, IYP.

On the other way, when I shot kitesurf last week, I was always using the AF in AI Servo mode and that wears the motors a little/much.
    But I could not shoot any other way. They were always moving...

Next Tuesday and/or Friday, I will be shooting singers in a stage and I intend to use the 1.4 in One Shot focusing mode.

Thank you Nikolai. :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Antonio,
    If all your optics is fast (f/4 and faster) you don't need to do that at all.
    However, when you're geting to f/5.6 or slower (I mean wide open), camera would stop autofocusing IF the TC is on.
    You're absolutely correct that you can focus manually even without the three pins taped. Moreover, you wouldn't even have to switch to MF - camera would not simply do it.
    However, in some cases (moon being one of them) such manual focusing is extremely unreliable, because you will not get a confirmation beep or blinking red square. Full manual focus with TC on a slow lens is exactly what it is, full manual focus, no camera assistance whatsoever.
    Hence comes the pin taping...

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"