Options

Chicago, IL area

UNCTEPUNCTEP Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited August 4, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
At the end of the month I'm visiting the Chicago area for a week (wife has family there, I believe they live in an area called Buffalo Grove?). Anyone from the area have a list of "must visit" photos spots?

Also will be driving to Stillwater, MN for a wedding during the trip - if anyone knows any good spots in that area/along the way I'd be all ears...

Comments

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    I love the Shedd Aquarium. Given most of the 'exhibits' are behind glass, flash doesn't work. So a monopod with a fast lens with high ISO works. Lotta junk shots at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll get some great keepers.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Sheds is great, there are lots of small parks along the lake driving north of the city off Lake Shore Drive. They're not bad places to take some shots of the city from a little distance. The John Hancock building observatory can be good. Rush street at night has a lot of activity. Some great jazz bars also. The ferris wheel at Navy Pier at night is cool also.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Stillwater Region
    I might be able to point you to a few locations near Stillwater.

Willow State Park is just 10 to 15 minutes from Stillwater. Below, is a picture of one of the falls.

47130141-L.jpg

Also, Cascade Falls in Osceola, WI is a 30 minute drive north from Stillwater (on the WI side). If barns and farmland shots are your thing there are plenty of them as well.

Feel free to send me an e-mail or PM for other locations within the area.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited July 6, 2007
    UNCTEP wrote:
    At the end of the month I'm visiting the Chicago area for a week (wife has family there, I believe they live in an area called Buffalo Grove?). Anyone from the area have a list of "must visit" photos spots?

Also will be driving to Stillwater, MN for a wedding during the trip - if anyone knows any good spots in that area/along the way I'd be all ears...

What type of subjects would you be interested in shooting? Nature? Landscapes? Architecture?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited July 6, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I love the Shedd Aquarium.

If you go to the Shedd, you should also walk out towards the Adler Planetarium to take the classic Chicago skyline panorama shot. Bring a tripod. Another popular location is Millennium Park, downtown. Cloudgate (The Bean) and the Crown Fountain offer lots of photo possibilities.

Cheers,
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Observation deck, Sears Tower
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    What type of subjects would you be interested in shooting? Nature? Landscapes? Architecture?

I'm open to anything really, but going to a city as large as Chicago I think I'd like to try to stick to urban/cityscapes. I'm certainly going to check into the locations mentioned for the skyline photos. Is the fountain mentioned the one from the opening credits of Married with Children? For some reason I always thought that was Chicago... but could be wrong.

I've just learned that the drive to Stillwater probably isn't going to give much time for going off-course for photo spots. But, we'll certainly be on the lookout for anything that's not too far off the beaten path.

Thanks everyone for the tips - if anything else springs into your mind let me know!
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2007
    Buckingham Fountain is the Married With Children opening credits fountain. Also, the Bundy House in the opening credits (once yellow) is up near Buffalo Grove. It's marked on Google Earth Communities - Deerfield I think. AFAIK, it is still there.

As far as the city goes, I can't be too much help, as I hardly ever go there myself. And when I do, it isn't with my photo gear. What others have mentioned in the city is good though. You almost can't go wrong within a couple miles from the Loop area. Just walk around. Plenty to see. Adler Planetarium area is good for views back towards the city.

Chicago Botanical Gardens (not in Chicago) is on the north shore, somewhat nearby. You could spend a day or more walking around that. The Frank Lloyd Wright Historical District is in Oak Park, if you like architecture (I do, but just not FLW). Interesting historical stuff though.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Go on a tour of the splendid campus of my alma mater, Illinois Institute of Technology. You'll see the stunning work of Mies Van Der Rohe. Things like this:

image0021.jpg

and this:

IITTower-001.jpg

I know, you're saying to yourself, "Wow that's some amazing architecture!" Oh I know. Those buildings and so many more spectacularly boring other ones will be at your fingertips. rolleyes1.gif

Just stay north of 35th street okay? Also stay south of 31st Street.

Seriously though, I don't know much about photography in Chicago since I didn't have a camera back then. What I can tell you is where to eat. First, find a burrito joint. There is one pretty close to IIT if you're planning on venturing that far south (which I wouldn't unless you know where you're going). Ask a native, Chicago has awesome burritos. Then for dinner the first night go to Giordano's. On the second day for lunch go get more pizza but this time from Connie's. Then for dinner head to Ed Debevics for a fun night out. But don't have dessert at Ed's, instead go to Zephyr. In fact, you may just want to skip Ed's and go straight to Zephyr's.

thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    The Shedd is great if you want sea life... if you want animals, Brookfield Zoo is a fun place to go.
    http://shima.smugmug.com/Nature/325400
  • Options
    beacazilbeacazil Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Buffalo Grove is one of the north-west suburbs. Nice little town with lots of green and open land to the north.

I'd hop on the METRA train ("North Central Line") and explore the city. The train ends at Union Station and you may find yourself using the camera even before you leave the station. Here a few hints what to do from there: ttp://metrarail.com/Travel/Union_Station.pdf.

I personally love the city at and after sunset. On days without overcast, you have these deep blue skies and all the city lights.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Go on a tour of the splendid campus of my alma mater, Illinois Institute of Technology. You'll see the stunning work of Mies Van Der Rohe. Things like this:

and this:

I know, you're saying to yourself, "Wow that's some amazing architecture!" Oh I know. Those buildings and so many more spectacularly boring other ones will be at your fingertips. rolleyes1.gif

Just stay north of 35th street okay? Also stay south of 31st Street.

Seriously though, I don't know much about photography in Chicago since I didn't have a camera back then. What I can tell you is where to eat. First, find a burrito joint. There is one pretty close to IIT if you're planning on venturing that far south (which I wouldn't unless you know where you're going). Ask a native, Chicago has awesome burritos. Then for dinner the first night go to Giordano's. On the second day for lunch go get more pizza but this time from Connie's. Then for dinner head to Ed Debevics for a fun night out. But don't have dessert at Ed's, instead go to Zephyr. In fact, you may just want to skip Ed's and go straight to Zephyr's.

thumb.gif
    Mike, I never knew you were so versed in Chicago. Some good info here. Especially about the food. You can find any kind of food. If you like BBQ than go to Fat Willys you'd be surprised how good Chicago BBQ can be and they are the best in the city. For good Mexican food go to El Jardin Cafe in Wrigleyville. While your there you'll have plenty of interesting people to see and Wrigley Field to shoot. There are tons of trendy bars and restaurant up and down Clark in the area. If you want Chicago Style pizza check out Mikes suggestions or go to Gino's East, you won't be disappointed. For breakfast there's nothing better than Ann Sathers, the Belmont location is down the street from Wrigleyville and has free parking which is a huge plus if you're driving. And I can't forget about Chicago's awsome steak houses. Personally one of my favorites is Wildfire, it's decently priced and the martini bar is a huge plus. Another very popular one is the Chicago Chop House. Now that I've gotten the food out of the way, a couple suggestions for photography. Start out at the Field Museum or Soldier field and walk your way down the lakefront to the Shedd and take your skyline shot as rsinmadrid mentioned. Then move on to Grant park and Buckingham fountain. Keep moving and you'll make it to Millenium Park and now you'r in the heart of the skyscrapers. The rest is up to you.

Now if you have time check out the museums, they are all world class. If you'll be here for a couple days you can should get a Chicago City pass which will save you a ton of money and time in ticket lines. It's good at the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Hancock Observatory. It's also good for 9 days. Shima mentioned the Brookfield Zoo, great choice. You can take the Metra from Union Station to the Zoo stop in Brookfield and it is within walking distance. There is also Lincoln Park Zoo in the city but I think Brookfield is much nicer. Lincoln Park zoo is free and Brookfield Zoo charges admission. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Have fun.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited July 28, 2007
    A bit off-topic, perhaps, but if you like painting from the first half of the 20th century, you should make it a point to visit Chicago's Art Institute. It's right next to Millennium Park, downtown. It's a world-class collection. If it's not out on loan, you can see Edward Hopper's Nighthawks there, one of my all-time favorite paintings. Last time I was there (a couple of years ago) they did allow shooting (no flash or tripod), so you also have the possibility of getting some interesting shots of people trying to make sense of abstract art. Lots of fun.

Regards,
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Mike, I never knew you were so versed in Chicago. Some good info here. Especially about the food.
    Well I did go to IIT for 4 years. But that was nearly a decade ago :yikes:rutt
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    Thanks to everyone who suggested spots to hang out, eat, and take photos. Our trip went well. The first day we went to the top of the Hancock building, and toured Navy Pier. 2nd day - Museum of Science and Industry, which was really cool. Had about 10 people with us, all cousins of my wife (most of which were under 10yrs old), so we didn't try to accomplish much else. Next night we went to Millenium park and visited the Cloud sculpture, Buckingham Fountain and finally walked to the Shedd Aquarium to get some night photos of the skyline with Lake Michigan in the foreground as suggested. Our last venture into the city included one of the touristy river tours of downtown and onto the lake, which was fun, but if anyone ever goes on these - WEAR SUNSCREEN. We didn't even think about it and got scorched. We ate at Gino's East - my first sampling of true Chicago-stlye pizze, which was amazing. We ate at other places that we found along the way - all in all it was a great trip and I think we'll be going back again, hopefully in the near future.

Thanks again to all!
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    That all sounds like you had a great visit. You did more in the city than I have done in the past 10 years!
    My Smugmug