Black Belt Test

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited July 5, 2007 in Sports
Hi everyone,

I decided to experiment a bit when shooting our most recent black belt test yesterday. Rather than go with a traditional, see-everything fairly wide angle, I went with an 85 to get a much tighter perspective. What do you think?

Here's the candidate for Black Belt whomping on her partner:

168283324-M-1.jpg

Here's one of the candidates for instructor certification explaining some of the finer points of staying on the ground:

168374052-M.jpg

And here's one of the third dan candidates after deflecting a sword strike, disarming his partner, and the flipping him:

168365576-M.jpg

Since this is a much tighter view, I was having a much harder time finding focus, especially at f/2.5 or f/2.8. From one angle, they were strongly backlit, and that coupled with their monochrome uniforms made autofocusing on the right point practically impossible. Plus, their constant movement meant keeping people in frame and well composed was not easy.

But fun, though!

Thoughts? Comments and critiques welcome!

Comments

• mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Many views, no comments. Or is this just what people expect of martial arts pictures, and so aren't particularly impressed?
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    I think the 1st is the strongest - good exposure and facial expressions! That's very tough conditions to shoot in, nice job -
    edited July 3, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I think the 1st is the strongest - good exposure and facial expressions! That's very tough conditions to shoot in, nice job -

Thanks for the kind comments :) Yes, she really liked it-- I don't think she realized she looked like that when testing.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    I think the first one is great!
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited July 5, 2007
    TristanP wrote:
    I think the first one is great!

Thanks! She's quite photogenic, isn't she? Especially with the grimace :)
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    I think the first shot is best but may have been better shot in portrait so you could see her stance