Finding my Niche - People (Critique)

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited February 17, 2005 in People
So I started this thread called "Show me Hope" because I was down. Someone suggested I find my Niche... so yeah... i'm trying...

Here's my attempt at People :) (I love people)

DSC02797_800.jpg

DSC02798_crop_800.jpg

DSC02799_crop_800.jpg

DSC02800_crop_800.jpg

Enjoy :)

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Steven,

An 'attempt'? Are you kidding? Those are beautiful shots and no doubt, children are the most wonderful people!

clap.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Nice shots.

I like how the background is just lawn, so that you can focus on the two girls. Great, vibrant colours and both girls are darling!

I like #1 best because of the younger girl's totally innocent and unaware expression. Good job!thumb.gif

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Steven,

An 'attempt'? Are you kidding? Those are beautiful shots and no doubt, children are the most wonderful people!

clap.gif
    Thank you for your kind words and comments.

Kids truly are such wonderful subjects
    MM Portfolio

edited February 16, 2005
    Cosmic wrote:
    Nice shots.

I like how the background is just lawn, so that you can focus on the two girls. Great, vibrant colours and both girls are darling!

I like #1 best because of the younger girl's totally innocent and unaware expression. Good job!thumb.gif

~Heidi~
    Thank you Cosmic. I'm still learning here, but it's good to know someone else likes my shots :)

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Beautiful shots indeed..My comment as I opened them (I always talk to myself.. but I'm allowed cos I'm old) was.. "now yer talkin".

Number 4 is my fav. I think I may have cropped #1 on the right side so they were'nt so centered but thats just my take..
    You could also burn down the area's around the girls a bit to bring them into light and focus, look here for a really easy and good way to do it.

Congratulations! on finding your niche :D
    edited February 16, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Beautiful shots indeed..My comment as I opened them (I always talk to myself.. but I'm allowed cos I'm old) was.. "now yer talkin".

Number 4 is my fav. I think I may have cropped #1 on the right side so they were'nt so centered but thats just my take..
    You could also burn down the area's around the girls a bit to bring them into light and focus, look here for a really easy and good way to do it.

Congratulations! on finding your niche :D
    Thank you for taking a look Lynn,

I've seen your stuff and definately value your eye. and don't worry... i talk to myself all the time :) As long as you don't talk back, you're still ok.

I will try your suggestion tonight when I get home. I'm starting to think "People" is my Niche, but i want to give the rest a fair chance as well.

For the record - Sony 717 with Sony 1.7x tcon
    MM Portfolio

• johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Great shots. I love them... I find it joyful to take pics of children, they are so creative. In trying to understand people picture taking, I went to my local book store and found some books on portaits. I scanned several and gathered ideas and went back home and tried them out. There are so many options it's sick... But it's fun.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited February 16, 2005
    johno wrote:
    Great shots. I love them... I find it joyful to take pics of children, they are so creative. In trying to understand people picture taking, I went to my local book store and found some books on portaits. I scanned several and gathered ideas and went back home and tried them out. There are so many options it's sick... But it's fun.

peace.
    johno~
    Thank you Johno. Any books in particular you can recommend? I like taking pictures of people not in studio (for now). I just like people and nature kind of thing.

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Nice shots!!

Try to keep your background elements in mind when taking portraits like these. I often get fixated on the subject and ignore a distracting item in the background.rolleyes1.gif The shots with the dirt patch above the grass may have been unavoidable. Perhaps a different angle would have allowed the background to be entirely green grass in all the shots (like the one with the girl alone).

mitch
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    all I can say is great job at telling your story with four photosthumb.gifthumb.gif
    LiquidOps wrote:
    So I started this thread called "Show me Hope" because I was down. Someone suggested I find my Niche... so yeah... i'm trying...

Here's my attempt at People :) (I love people)

DSC02797_800.jpg

DSC02798_crop_800.jpg

DSC02799_crop_800.jpg

DSC02800_crop_800.jpg

Enjoy :)

Steven
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Nice niche and wonderful images 2thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    IMHO the trick with shooting people is to fire away relentlessly, until you catch just the right expression. It's fleeting, so you have to hammer out a lot of images so that the aperature's open when something good happens. Hard to time it by watching. Do you have a shot of the little girl actually blowing on the plant? Puffed out cheeks and everything? That would be cute.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Isaac DwyerIsaac Dwyer Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Great photos
    I really like the second one.

Timing is just awsome, congrats!!!
    edited February 17, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    IMHO the trick with shooting people is to fire away relentlessly, until you catch just the right expression. It's fleeting, so you have to hammer out a lot of images so that the aperature's open when something good happens. Hard to time it by watching. Do you have a shot of the little girl actually blowing on the plant? Puffed out cheeks and everything? That would be cute.
    Hey Waxy,

I fired away as much as I could. I do not have one of her blowing. I wish I did. I had left my big memory stick at home and just luckily had my 32meg stick in the side of my bag. So, I kind of had to be selective. I am glad I got what I did.

Thanks for your advice though. I will definately keep it in mind.
    MM Portfolio

edited February 17, 2005
    Thanks to all who keep bringin in the compliments and the comments and the critiques. They are more appreciated that I can ever express.

I really want to get into people photography. I would love to do it. I've always loved people watching and photography... I want to combine them. I'm just not sure where to start.

Any advice on that, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and keep the comments coming :)

Steven
    MM Portfolio