Preparing an image for printing

W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited July 2, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi guys,

How do you size your images before getting them printed at a Pro LAB?

The images that come out of my S5 are 4256 x 2848, If I am not mistaken I need to resize these images before getting them printed.

Can someone please let me know how to resizer them correctly so I can get 6x4, 8x10, 20x30 prints etc...

Appreciate any help available. I am using either Lightroom or CS3.

Cheers.

Comments

• edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    W00DY wrote:
    Hi guys,

How do you size your images before getting them printed at a Pro LAB?

The images that come out of my S5 are 4256 x 2848, If I am not mistaken I need to resize these images before getting them printed.

Can someone please let me know how to resizer them correctly so I can get 6x4, 8x10, 20x30 prints etc...

Appreciate any help available. I am using either Lightroom or CS3.

Cheers.
    Those values will generate a 60 x 40 image at 72dpi. In Photoshop, under Image Size make certain that Resample is not selected and enter the dimensions that you want. The resolution will change but your pixel values will remain the same, which is what counts.

if your lab requires a certain resolution, start with that value, and see what dimensions you end up with. The same image set to 300 dpi will be approximates 14 x 9.5. As long as you aren't resampling, it makes no difference what values you plug into either resolution or dimensions. Raising one will lower the other proportionally but the actual image will retain all its information.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Depends on the printer. When I sent my printing to MPix, I resized to 300dpi for the print size I wanted. For SM, I just upload the full-rez file from my camera (8MP) and print the size I want.