Options

Western Caribbean...Yucatan & Cayman Islands

agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
edited July 2, 2007 in Landscapes
I love this forum...and the photos all are sharing. So thought I would share these two taken with my Rebel XT during a recent cruise to Western Caribbean Sea.

The Temple of the Wind God, Tulum Mayan Ruins, Yucatan Peninsula
168735950-L.jpg

Anchorage at Georgetown, Cayman Islands
168735974-L.jpg
Acadiana Al
Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
Blog: Journey to the Light
"Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)

Comments

• Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    :D Envy. The first one looks like it was taken on Cozamel. I saw a structure like that there and was told that it was probably a Mayan lighthouse.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    That water is amazing, isn't it. Colors just like in the brochure.

I like the big ships and the little boat. Wish I was there.nod.gif

Very nice shots. Clarity is awesome. I'm sure you enjoyed the time down there. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    bsv...,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, there are many such Mayan ruins on the Yucatan peninsula, including Cozumel. But my shot was taken at the Tulum ruins on the mainland, about 35 miles south of Playa del Carmen (which is across from Cozumel).

However, your question about watchtower vs. lighthouse aroused my interest so I investigated further. The aerial view of Tulum at http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/101a-t.html shows my "watchtower" just to the right of the sandy inlet on the eastern flank facing the sea. Another site http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-info-mayan-ruins-of-tulum.html offers more info.

These sites describe El Castillo, the tallest structure just left of the inlet as a "lighthouse" and possibly a "watchtower" and two other watchtowers on the corners of the walls on the western flank, facing the jungle. These two watchtowers can be seen if you look closely.

But the clincher...several good sites I found such as http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/4273/tindex7.htm and http://www.undiscoveredmexico.com/archaeology/tulum.html indentify my subject tower as a place of worship called the Temple of the Wind God. So I guess I have learned something new and am changing my photo title.

Thanks again for your comments.

Another note! The other pic was taken from the beach at Georgetown, Cayman Islands.

:D Envy. The first one looks like it was taken on Cozamel. I saw a structure like that there and was told that it was probably a Mayan lighthouse.
    bsvirginian
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    I love the contrast/comparison of the boats (and ships) in the second photo. Thanks for sharing.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    Thanks, HB. I have now added info to both pics which I accidentally left out.

HarlanBear wrote:
    That water is amazing, isn't it. Colors just like in the brochure.

I like the big ships and the little boat. Wish I was there.nod.gif

Very nice shots. Clarity is awesome. I'm sure you enjoyed the time down there. Thanks for sharing.
    Acadiana Al