Options

Indiana's Largest Waterfall (by volume)

2»

Comments

• Options
    nightingalenightingale Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Thanks bunches. I try! rolleyes1.gif
    So here are 2 of mine-no bridges though; I let that up to the bridge guru.:D
    Hello to all my fans who keep me from lurking too much! Nightingale

Very nice indeedthumb.gif especially the close up of the water veiling the green grassclap.gif. You guys make quite a teamwings.gif
    Nightingale...

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]I may not always be right, but I am never in doubt!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I've been thinking about this technique more, and I had a second thought.

Why not consider a second curtain flash shot..... Long exposure via an ND, then a brief exposure just before the shutter closes with a flash. This should capture the flowing water and then highlight the water droplets sharply just before the shutter closes.....

Right, I've tried this without the ND in dark rainforest (saving for the Singh-Ray variable ND, just blew my discretionary funds on set of 4x6 Galen Rowell Grad NDs, geeez those were expensive.)

Anyway, thinking out loud here ...

Would this work with an ND (or a polarizer)? Not sure. You would be lowering BOTH ambient light and flash power. It might work if your ND was 2 or 3 stop and you compensated with boosting flash power. Right?

Second curtain is one of my favorite techniques photojournalistically in low light and I'm just starting to (trying to) incorporate it into landscape work. Think of flowing grass in the wind in the foreground with some freeze action combined - just missed this opportunity recently and am kicking myself. But second-curtain is really tricky to do well and with a lot of ambient light even harder if not impossible. Using the ND though ...

The few times I've tried second-curtain flash with flowing water the effect has been too dramatic with the freeze action a little too defined. Looks weird.

All of that said, I think it holds great potential to capture that elusive "something a little different" I'm always looking for. I'll see if I can give it a try again with flowing water this weekend and post in technique forum with exif. I've got a dam nearby, can I borrow your covered bridge? ;-)

Second curtain flash example
    ISO1600, 1/5, f4.0, flash -2/3

135526293-S.jpg
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Nightingale,
    What beautiful shots. I love the closeup with the grass behind the water. Also the other is very nice, kind of misty/fantasy like. Very nice.

Great to see you posting.
  • Options
    nightingalenightingale Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    Nightingale,
    What beautiful shots. I love the closeup with the grass behind the water. Also the other is very nice, kind of misty/fantasy like. Very nice.

Great to see you posting.

Thanks! Good to hear from you.
    Nightingale...

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]I may not always be right, but I am never in doubt!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]