LPS8-Sedate?

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited July 3, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, so I'm not sure these pics from Saturday qualify for sedate, although a few fit its synonym "serene." I agree to comments in other posts that sedate has a human element but ....

Comments?

168649662-L.jpg

168667196-L.jpg

168659130-L.jpg

168617929-L.jpg

Comments

• BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Personification of Sedate...
    seastack wrote:
    Okay, so I'm not sure these pics from Saturday qualify for sedate, although a few fit its synonym "serene."

Tom.

If I were only considering mankind, then a sedate image might be a dowager duchess, with pince nez, towering hat, and trailing gown...

But, in the land of Birds, such as shot #3, perhaps to them, this soft image might just be the most absolute personification of sedate...

Then, you might ask, what would they call Explosive?

What say you?
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    3rd is fantastic ! beautiful job
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    #2 is my favorite as a straight up wall hanger. For the theme, I find #4 hits that "end of the day, its quittin' time" mood that, of this set, best communicates sedate to me. The best entry? Your guess is as good as (or probably better than) mine.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    #2 for me.

I love #1, but there is too much going on for the scene to be sedate. Just the woman on the right would do it, though - if we could see more of her face.

FWIW, the stock photo agencies include landscapes and other non-human subjects in the sedate category, so I'm guessing that a lot of clients looking for sedate images agree. Which says nothing about how our judges will see it. headscratch.gifdunno

Email
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    #1 is a nice people shot but it does not convey either theme to me. ne_nau.gif

The colors in #2 and #3 are stunning and either one would have been a contender for the silhouette theme. I just don't see sedate in either one.

#4 comes closest to conveying sedate, IMHO. I keep thinking of the overture by Felix Mendelsohn called "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage" when I look at that photo.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Number 3 for sure... very sedate.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    They're all beautiful shots! #1 doesn't say 'sedate' to me though. #2, #3, and #4 all seem to project the sedate theme but #4 does so the most. Just my opinion.