There really is a Green Flash

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited July 2, 2007 in Landscapes
Background story: I dropped hubby home, and because the sky looked very interesting with some clouds for a change, I drove to the pier hoping to get some nice sunset/cloud photos.

I was zoomed all the way out at the telephoto end and took some photos (photo on left). Then I zoomed out to the wider end of the telephoto to catch the sun and some of the colorful clouds above it.

My camera was set in continuous shutter mode, in RAW. When all of a sudden I saw the start of... was it? It didn't look clear enough for it... a green flash? Quick -- shutter held down, three shots were fired before the buffer filled up with the larger RAW images. So I didn't get the very last of the sequence where the green flash would disappear. Looking at the time, you can see why it's called a green "flash." Blink and you can miss it. I can't tell you how long I've been trying to capture these, and this one was unexpected and accidental.

For those who doubt the existence of a "green flash" of the sun at sunset, here's proof. I added the times from EXIF.

168842827-L-1.jpg

Other settings were: Aperture f6.3, shutter 1/500 sec, focal length 300.0mm, ISO 400

Comments