168882545-L.jpg

168882518-L.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Hehehe Linda today i was also shooting my sleeping cat for sedate
    but yours are very nice i like bw too
    #1 and 2 for me
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    I love the first one, the full extension definitely drives the concept home.

(Is that a 10:4 pano I see?) rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Hehehe Linda today i was also shooting my sleeping cat for sedate
    but yours are very nice i like bw too
    #1 and 2 for me
    Thanks, Awais! :D
    edited July 2, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I love the first one, the full extension definitely drives the concept home.

(Is that a 10:4 pano I see?) rolleyes1.gif
    Well to be perfectly honest, it's more like a "the-cat-is-stretched-out-on-the-window-sill-so-let's-find-a-good-crop" pano. rolleyes1.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    In #2 the "Sedate" is looking you right in the face! To me the mood is even enhanced by the lack of true black tone in the photo.

10:4 crop = 2.5:1. #1 is cropped to 2.08...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    I like #1 the best... its pose is very humorous and sedate indeed.

I don't know if you were looking for a discussion on composition or not, but would this picture be an example of when they say to make the horizon level - The cat seems to be sliding. But then they also say that diagonal lines are good as well, so... I am confused?

As you can tell, I am still learning a lot about composition :) Anyway I like the pics a lot!
    edited July 2, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    In #2 the "Sedate" is looking you right in the face! To me the mood is even enhanced by the lack of true black tone in the photo.

10:4 crop = 2.5:1. #1 is cropped to 2.08...

Thanks!

headscratch.gifGood heavens! How on earth did you figure that ratio out? rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 2, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I like #1 the best... its pose is very humorous and sedate indeed.

I don't know if you were looking for a discussion on composition or not, but would this picture be an example of when they say to make the horizon level - The cat seems to be sliding. But then they also say that diagonal lines are good as well, so... I am confused?

As you can tell, I am still learning a lot about composition :) Anyway I like the pics a lot!
    Laughing.gifOLaughing.gif...I'm also learning a lot about composition too. Sometimes a tilted picture works very well, as in Strikeslip's entry in LPS #6. His was intentional. Mine was intentional by default: my cat just filled the frame better at a slight angle and a straight horizon just didn't do much for me in this instance.

As to whether a judge will like this composition or any of the others is anyone's guess. ne_nau.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    #1 is cute, but I think I like #2 better. That's one contented cat.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Love number 2, but love the grayscales and contrast in number 3
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    #2 for me. Although #1 has a very Hobbs-ian (of Calvin & Hobbs) feel to it.

paul
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Did you read the article about a "cat study" and scientists have determined that they domesticated themselves...

I think anyone would be a contender for "sedate" (of course I'm somewhat sedate myself...

Winston
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    Thanks!

headscratch.gifGood heavens! How on earth did you figure that ratio out? rolleyes1.gif

I saved your photo, then looked at the properties. It's 800x383. That divides out to 2.09 actually.... Take a look in seastack's thread, #4, the ferry boat on a placid sea. That's 800x320, exactly the 10:4, or 2.5:1 crop ratio.

Don't all get too hung up on the exact use of the 10:4 crop ratio. The real point of Shay's thread is not just that it can be such a very powerful compositional tool, but also because it is a stock matt-cut at most frame stores. If you use it, you don't need to pay all that extra money to have a custom matt/frame made. Your cat laying in the windowsill is just fine sitting there cropped at 2.09!

added content:(strikes me that you knew this all along!)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    #1 makes me smile.
    edited July 3, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    #1 is cute, but I think I like #2 better. That's one contented cat.

Thanks! iloveyou.gif

Yep, she was one contented cat the other day. She normally hates having her picture taken -- I have some photos of her actually scowling. rolleyes1.gif

I think she was just high on sunshine that day and obviously could not get enough of it. mwink.gif
    edited July 3, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Love number 2, but love the grayscales and contrast in number 3

Thanks! iloveyou.gif
    edited July 3, 2007
    #2 for me. Although #1 has a very Hobbs-ian (of Calvin & Hobbs) feel to it.

paul

Thanks, Paul! iloveyou.gif
    edited July 3, 2007
    Did you read the article about a "cat study" and scientists have determined that they domesticated themselves...

I think anyone would be a contender for "sedate" (of course I'm somewhat sedate myself...

Winston
    Thanks! iloveyou.gif

Heheheheh...I saw your entry and I concur with your self-assessment. rolleyes1.gif

Never knew that about cats!
    edited July 3, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I saved your photo, then looked at the properties. It's 800x383. That divides out to 2.09 actually.... Take a look in seastack's thread, #4, the ferry boat on a placid sea. That's 800x320, exactly the 10:4, or 2.5:1 crop ratio.

Don't all get too hung up on the exact use of the 10:4 crop ratio. The real point of Shay's thread is not just that it can be such a very powerful compositional tool, but also because it is a stock matt-cut at most frame stores. If you use it, you don't need to pay all that extra money to have a custom matt/frame made. Your cat laying in the windowsill is just fine sitting there cropped at 2.09!

added content:(strikes me that you knew this all along!)

I'm no math wiz, that's for sure. rolleyes1.gif

I remember learning something about ratios in school but that was a L-O-N-G time ago...like in the stone ages. :D I don't obsess over ratios and numbers too much -- if I need to crop I just fool around with the photo in PS until it looks right to my eye. ne_nau.gif But the 10:4 ratio is good to know because of the stock-mat thing. thumb.gif
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    #2 gets my vote! thumb.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    #2 gets my vote! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    #1 gets my vote. What a cute cat. I don't mind the slant. Definitely sedate.
    And now ... after a few minutes looking at her, I have to go take a nap. :snore
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    #1 is my fav, but I must say that when I looked to see what you had entered and saw #2, a big smile spread over my face. That is one sedate(d) cat. (Sedated by the sun, of course.) Wonderful shot!

Virginia

Email