How many shots til the end of your shutter?

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited July 5, 2007 in Cameras
My Canon Digital Rebel (300D)shutter died Saturday night, in the midst of shooting the sunset along the East Side of Manhattan. From what I have researched it would cost $300+ to get it repaired. Something I can not afford to do for something that could be nearing the end of its life as it is. So, anyone know just how many shots you should be able to get from the 300D before it gives out? If I am not mistaken I had about 60,000, maybe a little less on mine. I have heard rumors of 100,000, that said even though it is out of warranty does anyone think I have a chance of getting Canon to fix it for free since it did not last to 100,000?

TIA

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 2, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    My Canon Digital Rebel (300D)shutter died Saturday night, in the midst of shooting the sunset along the East Side of Manhattan. From what I have researched it would cost $300+ to get it repaired. Something I can not afford to do for something that could be nearing the end of its life as it is. So, anyone know just how many shots you should be able to get from the 300D before it gives out? If I am not mistaken I had about 60,000, maybe a little less on mine. I have heard rumors of 100,000, that said even though it is out of warranty does anyone think I have a chance of getting Canon to fix it for free since it did not last to 100,000?

TIA

Ginger was told that her 20D was over the rated actuations at 90,000.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=381171&postcount=19

Canon rated the 20D as about twice the actuations of the 10D, so by process of deduction, the 10D shutter was rated at less than 45,000 actuations.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200409/200409.html

Since the 300D is an entry level camera, released around the same time as the 10D, I doubt that it is rated more than the 10D for shutter actuations.

If you got 60,000 actuations, I think that the 300D owes you little or nothing.

You can get a new 350D/XT for $500USD, so that's what I recommend as a replacement:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/371189-REG/Canon_0209B001_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT.html
    http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXTB.html?searchinfo=canon%20xt
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Thanks Ziggy, I actually had a family member insist on replacing it right away for me, with an xti, so far I LOVe it but thought if the other was repairable than I would attempt to. At this point also curious how long it is expected to last
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    my XT is approaching 45,000 and my XTi is at about 22,000 now thumb.gif

BTW, you'll be much happier with the XTi. The larger LCD and pc auto-rotate feature kick butt.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    It's kind of like a Tootsie Pop. It takes however many it takes. :D He have estimates and anecdotal evidence of failure points that are all over the map. I think my 20D is pretty close to where Ginger's is and shows no sign of slowing down yet (knock on wood).

I doubt an XT would be worth it to replace the shutter--the repair bill probably approaches the value of the camera. Good thing that someone got you the XTi already. clap.gif Put the XT up on a shelf, it sounds like it's earned the rest.
    edited July 3, 2007
    It's kind of like a Tootsie Pop. It takes however many it takes. :D He have estimates and anecdotal evidence of failure points that are all over the map. I think my 20D is pretty close to where Ginger's is and shows no sign of slowing down yet (knock on wood).

I doubt an XT would be worth it to replace the shutter--the repair bill probably approaches the value of the camera. Good thing that someone got you the XTi already. clap.gif Put the XT up on a shelf, it sounds like it's earned the rest.

It was actually the original digital rebel not the XT! But boy am I happy with the XTi in comparison wings.gif
  • Craigk59Craigk59 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:

TIA
    If it's out of warranty you can forget about getting it repaired for free. 100,000 is about right. They are like a clutch in a car...you can get 40,000 miles or some go 160,000 miles + without needing a new one. If it helps, my Nikon D200 is only rated for 100,000 actuations.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    Oh, boy....

Don't tell anyone this cuz I am starting to feel like I am tempting fate.

If I guesstimate that I average 3600 clicks a month (3 soccer games per week x 3 memory cards per game (75 shots each) ), then in 32 months I have 115K actuations. Now, there have been idle months, but then there are months where I have shot far in excess of 3600 shots - tournaments/vacations/ team photos etc.

Guess I should really start looking for a second body.

ann
    edited July 5, 2007
    Yep, Ann it took me a little less than 3 years to kill mine off, and I don't use it even as often as that BUT when I do go out I can knock out close to 2,000 shots in a day depending on where I have been.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:

TIA

"How many shots til the end of your shutter?"
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.