World's Oldest Rodeo

PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited July 4, 2007 in Sports
Hi Everyone,

I was asked to shoot our local Rodeo this weekend and while culling the over 1000 shots I took I thought I would post a few.

Prescott has "The World's Oldest Rodeo" and this week is one big celebration all week long.

I shot most of these with my 300 2.8 and in PP all I had to do was crop and size for the web. This lens is really beautiful to use. No USM at all and virtually nothing else except to pull out some of the shadows the cowboy hats cause in most shots. They make it tough to get a face shot and keep everything else in the prams, especially with the bright sun we had all weekend.

I shot in jpeg-L because I knew I was going to be shooting so many shots and thought it would take me a year to shoot them in RAW.

Anyway.. hope you enjoy. I have the Roping, Bullriding and many more categories that I haven't even looked at yet.

Prescott Photo,
Chris

IMG_1355_a.jpg

IMG_1364_a.jpg

IMG_1418_a.jpg

IMG_1427_a.jpg

IMG_1495_a.jpg

IMG_1502_a.jpg

IMG_1520_a.jpg

IMG_1531_a.jpg

IMG_1864_a.jpg
'
Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
'
Canon CPS Member
SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
NAPP Member..Click for Info

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    #9 is my favorite.

It's interesting that there always seems to be a claim to being the oldest. I live near a town called Deer Trail, CO. Someone once told me that the rodeo originated there and I believe they still hold a couple there every summer. The story had something to do with a rancher inventing a competition for his employees or something. As you can tell I'm no expert on the subject, but now my curiosity is peeked. Actually, here's a link to their web site where they claim to be "home of the World's First Rodeo". http://www.deertrailcolorado.org/ How funny. Sounds like it's all semantics.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Wow those bring back some memories.

I grew up in Chino Valley and my sister was part of the Rodeo Court one year. Of course that was back in the day it was at the old fairgrounds and they allowed the water fights on Gurly St. Good 4th of July memories!!

The shots are very sharp what were you shooting at? And who for? I love the detail in the dirt and #9 is very nice!!

Thanks for the post and the memories!!

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    nice job capturing the action. And they all look so crisp. No wonder you love that lens!

#5 really catches my eye. Can you say "explosive" mwink.gifmwink.gifmwink.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Wow those bring back some memories.

I grew up in Chino Valley and my sister was part of the Rodeo Court one year. Of course that was back in the day it was at the old fairgrounds and they allowed the water fights on Gurly St. Good 4th of July memories!!

The shots are very sharp what were you shooting at? And who for? I love the detail in the dirt and #9 is very nice!!

Thanks for the post and the memories!!

Aaron
    Hi Aaron and Sean,

I agree on the "claim" for the oldest rodeo but from what I have heard there were lawsuits back and forth between several places that had the same claim and for some reason Prescott won out and now uses the title of World's Oldest Rodeo.

Aaron.. I was shooting the photos for my website PrescottOutdoors.net which I do as a hobby. I try to promote the area through my photos. The Courier publishes a lot of my photos and the Rodeo and Airshow have picked up on it and asked me to shoot the events. The rodeo is tough though because they want all rights to any photo shot and it is hard to get a pass to shoot unless you sign a release. I don't care though because I just do it for fun.

Prescott still has all the events you mentioned, including the water fights. It is still at the old fairgrounds and the city just traded a bunch of land the county wanted so now Prescott owns the rodeo site. Between the parades, street dances, art shows on the square and two rodeo events just about every day it stays pretty busy up here for the week.

I just got the 300 2.8 and was shooting it on my Mark III at 400 ISO at about 1600 shutter speed for the action shots and on down for the others.
    This is the first time I used the lens so I was still getting used to it. But other than the crop there was virtually no PP done.

Thanks for the comments.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Fantastic!!!
    ...thanks so much for sharing! They are wonderful and a few times I even flinched! You have a great gift.clap.gifbarb

Really enjoyed the photos!

Maureen
    edited July 3, 2007
    NanaMo wrote:
    ...thanks so much for sharing! They are wonderful and a few times I even flinched! You have a great gift.clap.gifbarb

Really enjoyed the photos!

Maureen
    Hi Maureen,

I forgot to mention (when you said you flinched) that I have been around horses off and on all my life as well as other big animals since I worked on a farm when growing up in Ohio.. but the amazing thing about shooting this rodeo was the sheer power of the animals.

I was shooting right next to the curve in the fence at the arena and when the horses were approaching you could feel (and see in their muscles) the massive power they had especially when they were running right at you at full speed. I got pelted with dirt and stones, hit in the head by dirt balls and it hurt. When they went roaring by just on the other side of the fence you could feel the power. It was pretty amazing to have a half ton animal running at you full speed.

One old cowboy came up to me and cautioned me that even though I was on the other side of a very heavy metal tube fence I could get knocked out by thrown dirt and rocks and to be very careful.

Like these..

IMG_1383_b.jpg

OR

IMG_1853_b.jpg
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Hi Aaron and Sean,

I agree on the "claim" for the oldest rodeo but from what I have heard there were lawsuits back and forth between several places that had the same claim and for some reason Prescott won out and now uses the title of World's Oldest Rodeo.

Aaron.. I was shooting the photos for my website PrescottOutdoors.net which I do as a hobby. I try to promote the area through my photos. The Courier publishes a lot of my photos and the Rodeo and Airshow have picked up on it and asked me to shoot the events. The rodeo is tough though because they want all rights to any photo shot and it is hard to get a pass to shoot unless you sign a release. I don't care though because I just do it for fun.

Prescott still has all the events you mentioned, including the water fights. It is still at the old fairgrounds and the city just traded a bunch of land the county wanted so now Prescott owns the rodeo site. Between the parades, street dances, art shows on the square and two rodeo events just about every day it stays pretty busy up here for the week.

I just got the 300 2.8 and was shooting it on my Mark III at 400 ISO at about 1600 shutter speed for the action shots and on down for the others.
    This is the first time I used the lens so I was still getting used to it. But other than the crop there was virtually no PP done.

Thanks for the comments.

That is good to hear. I stopped going up after moving to Phoenix because they were trying to stop the water fights along Gurley. There was a large police presence for a few years.

Best times of the year are the 4th and the Christmas parade and lighting of the courthouse.

Those are some amazing shots at those settings. That camera is sweet! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    thumb.gif

3, 6 and 9 rock....as well as 2 in the second set...

Good good action, colour and context.

Andrew
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

edited July 4, 2007
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the great compliments, it was fun shooting. I have one more day tomorrow (last day of the event) and then I can start going through the rest of the over 1000 prints I will have.

Good shooting to all. :ivar
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member