best light/direction for portraits...

BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited July 4, 2007 in Technique
I'm planning a little shoot with a friend. I'm thinking prairie sunset light, a field of grain and my friend standing/kneeling in amongst the wheat. What would be best: have her facing straight west, north-west, or south-west. I'm shooting digital, but sometimes the display can be misleading, and i'd hate to mess it up, as i won't have a chance for a re-shoot. Any little tips and tricks would be appreciated!!

Cheers!
Brige
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 3, 2007
    Briggie wrote:
    I'm planning a little shoot with a friend. I'm thinking prairie sunset light, a field of grain and my friend standing/kneeling in amongst the wheat. What would be best: have her facing straight west, north-west, or south-west. I'm shooting digital, but sometimes the display can be misleading, and i'd hate to mess it up, as i won't have a chance for a re-shoot. Any little tips and tricks would be appreciated!!

Cheers!
    Brige

I guess you will have to decide at the time whether you prefer side lighting, back lighting, or warm frontal lighting from the right or left.... All can be lovely, but only you will know when you see it. Is one side of her face better formed than the other? High key or low key? Color or B&W?

If this is an important shoot that you cannot repeat, I'd shoot all three. I'd also bring a reflector or two and a flash or two just to be safe.

I am a belt and suspenders kind of fella though:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I guess you will have to decide at the time whether you prefer side lighting, back lighting, or warm frontal lighting from the right or left.... All can be lovely, but only you will know when you see it. Is one side of her face better formed than the other? High key or low key? Color or B&W?

If this is an important shoot that you cannot repeat, I'd shoot all three. I'd also bring a reflector or two and a flash or two just to be safe.

I am a belt and suspenders kind of fella though:D

Sound advice! Thanks! I always forget about flashes outdoors for fill, and my buddy has a reflector i'll probably borrow. It felt like a silly question to ask, but sometimes the gurus out there know of some don'ts that i'm not aware of!!... thanks for the response!

cheers!
    brige
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery