LPS #8 - Sedate?

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited July 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have another idea I am going to work on, but wonder what you think of this photograph I took today. C&C welcome. Thanks, Virginia

169210164-L.jpg

Email

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Sorry Virginia, it's an ok shot that really doesn't say sedate to me... even if you had one of the person coming towards the camera I still don't think it would say sedate but it would be a better shot…:D

Keep shooting
    Winston
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    I like the point of the kayak heading into the point of blue. The composition is good although I might be tempted for either a more narrow crop lengthwise or more image on the right. I would also consider a graduated gaussian blur on the water from the top down - it would give the reflection of the trees a softer more painterly look.

But ... you knew there had to be a but ... she is looking in the wrong direction for the composition and her stance is too tense for sedate. There is also action with the water dripping from the paddle. It looks like a midday shot so the light is a little harsh for sedate.

Hope this is helpful ...
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    I like the concept of the lone kayaker on calm water but this one doesn't quite give me the sedate feeling. Maybe even at dawn or dusk would help to convey that feeling? Just my opinion though.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    It's a nice shot, but doesn't quite hit the "sedate" mark for me. I think you need to keep shooting. ne_nau.gif

Perhaps a retake at dawn or dusk may do the trick. headscratch.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    Thanks, all, for looking and for taking the time to give constructive criticism on the picture. I have to agree with the critiques, especially the one about the back of the head of the woman in the kayak. I have a few showing her face, but the lighting is (even) worse and she definitely isn't sedate. Nonetheless, for myself, I rather like the shot and shall try Seastack's excellent suggestions to improve the photograph. As for LPS #8, it is on to Plan B, which is NOT capturing fireworks. That is Plan C. :D

Virginia

Email
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    My vote is that you go to the Fens today and catch a homer off the bat of Manny or Papi.....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    My vote is that you go to the Fens today and catch a homer off the bat of Manny or Papi.....

Explosive for sure!! wings.gif

Virginia

Email