Options

Challenge 32 I'm new to contests and need input

DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited February 17, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
LargeBeing new to these digital grin contests, I would love some input before I post anything.

Here is a shot I have considered. An opossum was on our porch last night so we brought our outside boys inside for a few minutes till the intruder went away. (I had the camera out hoping to catch the opossum, but no luck!)
I noticed as the cats lay on the floor that they match the floor in color and pattern.

I am not sure what can be done to soup up this photo seeing as we aren't supposed to use photoshop. It has a tiny crop and I removed a couple of peices of dirt from the floor but that's it.

Any suggestions? All are welcome. A reshoot isn't possible since the boys are back outside.

Dawn

Comments

• Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    DawnLand wrote:
    Being new to these digital grin contests, I would love some input before I post anything.

Here is a shot I have considered. An opossum was on our porch last night so we brought our outside boys inside for a few minutes till the intruder went away. (I had the camera out hoping to catch the opossum, but no luck!)
    I noticed as the cats lay on the floor that they match the floor in color and pattern.

I am not sure what can be done to soup up this photo seeing as we aren't supposed to use photoshop. It has a tiny crop and I removed a couple of peices of dirt from the floor but that's it.

Any suggestions? All are welcome. A reshoot isn't possible since the boys are back outside.

Dawn
    oh how precious. I really like this shot. You're right, the cats coordinate with the floor well. The best part is that you captured one of the kitties looking up and back and you and he's just meowing his heart out. It's very endearing. Almost like he's saying "let me back outside!"

I would like to see a slightly larger version, one that fits the screen. Can you link to a large thumbnail? I think this would fit the challenge well. :D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    DawnLand wrote:
    Being new to these digital grin contests, I would love some input before I post anything.

Dawn
    Hi dawn, I like the composition, and they are very cute cats :D maybe since you can't reshoot you could try just a little more contrast but maybe not.. I often over do the contrast myself so I may wrong. Maybe deepen the curves just a tad.. thats all allowable. No cloning tho.
    Good luck
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    I would like to see a slightly larger version, one that fits the screen. Can you link to a large thumbnail? I think this would fit the challenge well. :D[/QUOTE]

How do I "link to a large thumbnail"? I tried to upload the url that is from my smugmug photo, but it may be too large. dawn
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    DawnLand wrote:
    I would like to see a slightly larger version, one that fits the screen. Can you link to a large thumbnail? I think this would fit the challenge well. :D

How do I "link to a large thumbnail"? I tried to upload the url that is from my smugmug photo, but it may be too large. dawn[/QUOTE]

I like this a lot. To link the larger version, click on "Share with Friends, Forums" button and copy the the URL with the "L" version, then paste it into the post by clicking on the little yellow box and pasting in the pop up window.

The "L" version in smugmug should be the right size, that's what most of us use.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    I am soooooooooooooo stooooooopid!
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I must be too stoopid to understand. What did you mean about how to enlarge the photo? Could you please be specific from start to finish for someone like me who must be brain dead? ne_nau.gif I really really appreciate the help. dawnthumb.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    DawnLand wrote:
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I must be too stoopid to understand. What did you mean about how to enlarge the photo? Could you please be specific from start to finish for someone like me who must be brain dead? ne_nau.gif I really really appreciate the help. dawnthumb.gif

I just noticed that you have an attached image. I was talking about linking to a Smugmug site. To attach a larger image you need to make your image as large as they will allow - no larger than 117kb. Click image resize and adjust the largest side until you get as close to 117kb as you can. Try using save for the web so you can see the file size and compression. Then bring it up in PSP again and check the file size.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Thank you Snappy! You are a peach! DAwn