Options

Please help with IR shots

bavasshokiebavasshokie Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited July 4, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I am new to this site and to DSLR I used SLR's before but just took the leap and bought a Olympus E500 and I love it. I was wondering if I could get some tips on IR shots I have several on my site http://bavasshokie.smugmug.com could someone please vist and take a look at my IR pictures and tell me what I am doing wrong. I am using a Hoya 72nm IR filter. I have tried them in many different settings and just can't get that clean chrisp shot. Please help......

Andy Vass

Comments

• Options
    jerrykrjerrykr Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    I am new to this site and to DSLR I used SLR's before but just took the leap and bought a Olympus E500 and I love it. I was wondering if I could get some tips on IR shots I have several on my site http://bavasshokie.smugmug.com could someone please vist and take a look at my IR pictures and tell me what I am doing wrong. I am using a Hoya 72nm IR filter. I have tried them in many different settings and just can't get that clean chrisp shot. Please help......

Andy Vass

Maybe this will help.

www.irbuzz.blogspot.com

Take a look at the "Beginner's Series", especially the post about DSLRs that have not been modded for IR.

Long exposure times, do not generally make for sharp images, unless your tripod is very stable, and your scene is very static. Your exposure also needs to be really "on", and that will require a lot of experimentation on each and every scene you are trying to shoot.

The red tinted images you got are common, and you will need to post process for either False Color, (which you should be able to get a lot of out of these) , or convert to B&W. It's your choice and a will be a developement of your own IR style.

Try setting a custom white balance, shooting at a patch of really nice, healthy green grass, in very good, strong sunlight, and have your focus massively OOF to blend out the shadows and gaps between the grass blades. Use that CWB and see what you think.

Actually, it does not appear that your are doing anything "wrong".

hope this helps, as that's what the IR Buzz is all about.
    -=- Jerry -=-
    For Comprehensive info on Infrared Photography.

Visit my Site - Infrared Photography Buzz
  • Options
    bavasshokiebavasshokie Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    Thank you for the advice, I just can't seem to get rich sharp images in some of the photos.