Tiff vs. DNG

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited July 4, 2007 in Finishing School
DXO just came out with an update, which has a Lightroom plugin. I have been using DXO to batch process my images, then I send them to Lightroom as a DNG to make manual adjustments. The plugin would simplify my workflow, but will not allow me to sent the images back to Lightroom as a DNG, only a TIFF. Will I lose much of my latitude in manipulating the image if I do so as a TIFF vs. a DNG? It will no longer be a raw file. I don't think I will be able set the white balance, nor will I have as much image data to work with.

Comments

• DeborahGDeborahG Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2007
    Hi, I work for DxO Labs and want to give you a solution to your problem. For the moment, Adobe Lightroom will not allow us to put a DNG file back into its Library if the original file in Lightroom was a Raw. There is a good workaround though which is to first process the images in DxO Optics Pro v4.5 and export them directly to your Lightroom Library. In this case, Lightroom will accept a DNG. In the future, if you have a question, you can use the online form at http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/support/formulaires/pb_using There's also a library of information and guidance to help you resolve problems when using DxO Optics Pro or DxO FilmPack http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/support/technical_support_2007

DavidS wrote:
    DXO just came out with an update, which has a Lightroom plugin. I have been using DXO to batch process my images, then I send them to Lightroom as a DNG to make manual adjustments. The plugin would simplify my workflow, but will not allow me to sent the images back to Lightroom as a DNG, only a TIFF. Will I lose much of my latitude in manipulating the image if I do so as a TIFF vs. a DNG? It will no longer be a raw file. I don't think I will be able set the white balance, nor will I have as much image data to work with.