Age limit?

DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited July 9, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi everyone!

I recently joined this forum and have been wanting to enter the challenge. I haven't come up with anything myself yet, but I have a son who is also interested in photography and he took a picture I think fits the topic well.

It was taken all on his own with my Rebel XTi. I did convert it to black and white for him though, so I don't know if that would disqualify it, but I still have the original I could submit for him as well, if his age isn't a problem.

Here's the picture of my oldest son, Jonathan, taken by his little brother Matthew:

"Contemplation" by Matthew Sickler, age 4

IMG_7595-1_800px.JPG

Matthew is only four, but really loves taking pictures and has surprised me with how he takes the time to compose a shot, scooting over until it's just right etc. I think it'd be great to be able to enter him, but understand if his age prohibits.

Any advice?
~Debbie~
Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
28-105mm
100-300mm USM
100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes

Comments

• rmhomanrmhoman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2007
    I am not in a position of authority here but I believe that age has no place here. we are artists and as such; any way to help build and nurture a fellow artist no mater what age is our responsibility. I say bring it on, heck I will more than likely learn a thing or two as well.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    WOW! He's got "the eye", that's for sure!!!

As a parent, what you may want to do is read some of the feedback comments from judges to determine if such feedback will encourage or discourage your son at his age.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    What a wonderful shot....KUDOS to Matthew. Hmmm Child Prodigy at age 4..So GREAT!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 4, 2007
    There's certainly no age limit to this competition, everyone is eligible to participate. nod.gif That being said, this is a "digital photographer" competition, not just a "photo" competition. Each entrant must not only frame and capture the photo, but understand and work the themes, post-process, upload, post to this forum, and, well, the list goes on. (EDIT: it occurred to me I should check with the boss, since there are prizes, etc... stay tuned for an official official answer)

Official answer aside, it's fantastic that you are nurturing your son's artistic eye at such a young age!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    (EDIT: it occurred to me I should check with the boss, since there are prizes, etc... stay tuned for an official official answer)

'Cause he might win! :D
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Official answer aside, it's fantastic that you are nurturing your son's artistic eye at such a young age!

15524779-Ti.gif
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Just my personal opinion is that it should be allowed into the competition. Encouraging phoptography is someone so young by allowing them to enter this can't be a bad thing, any way you cut it. Just my two cents!
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Thank you all for the kind words of support! I've posted other pictures Matthew has taken on other forums for him in the past. I always read the replies and put them into words that he can understand when I read them to him. So far, all comments have been good. If there are suggestions, I always tell him the good first and then say that for next time maybe he could try... So judge feedback would be great.

I appreciate everyone's encouragement here. iloveyou.gif
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    The only thing I would suggest is next time putting the subject slightly off center. In this case if the subjects head/face was slightly to the left then more of his arm would show. It would get rid of some of the dead space on the left as well.

Not that I think it is a bad shot by any means! Let him know that it is a fantastic shot that shows a real eye for a good photo!
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Any news on the official answer?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Hi Folks - 18 years of age or older is the rule.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=54952
    I'm sorry for the late reply to this thread!