Question on zooming with shutter open

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited July 16, 2007 in Technique
I am having problems getting the focus correct in a somewhat tricky shot I am attempting. I want the expanding, radial blur that you get when you change the zoom with the shutter open, but I want the center to be fairly sharp. Here's what I have tried so far: Focus manually on the subject with the lens set to around 50 mm. Then start a 3 or 4 second exposure at 75 mm and slowly zoom to 50. I am using a flash on 2nd curtain synch, and a tripod. I have the camera about a meter from the subject. I suppose the problem is that I am not getting my final zoom length exactly at the point I used to do the initial focus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    Richard -
    I have had to do this by using a fairly long exposureso you need to use a tripod. Then do the zoom in/out at the end of the exposure. So on a 20 second exposure, you zoom at 16-17 second, dragging out the zooming slowly for 2-3 seconds. Obviously you could do 10 seconds and quickly zoom at the last second.

Another option is one shot normally exposed and another zoomed. Use PS to layer/mask the images, feather and blend to your taste. I'll try and post an example later of the first method.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 5, 2007
    Dave,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the one that's going to help the most is to start zoomed out, then zoom in. That way, I can focus exactly on the part that I want sharpest. I was doing the opposite. :bash

BTW, I looked at some of your galleries. Your Madrid is a little different than mine. lol3.gif Nice work.

Cheers,
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Richard. Good evenning.:D

I have done a zoomed photo on the 7 th July with good results.
    I have shot some 5 pictures hoping 1 to be good.
    It's here.
    I think an important procedure is to zoom smoothly and rotate the ring without touching the lens or the camera.

I didn't care about the focus, but, as you are shooting very bear and I was to infinity, I suggest you do as you told us.

thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited July 9, 2007
    Richard. Good evenning.:D

I have done a zoomed photo on the 7 th July with good results.
    I have shot some 5 pictures hoping 1 to be good.
    It's here.
    I think an important procedure is to zoom smoothly and rotate the ring without touching the lens or the camera.

I didn't care about the focus, but, as you are shooting very bear and I was to infinity, I suggest you do as you told us.

thumb.gif
    Hi Toni,

That's a very cool shot you did. thumb.gif I finally got something close to what I was aiming for using a tripod, first curtain flash and zooming in rather than out. I posted it on Dgrin a few days ago. Final version here.

Salud,
    edited July 9, 2007
    But that is very nice Richard ! :D
    Come on, you do know how to do it !!! :D
    thumb.gif
    edited July 9, 2007
    But that is very nice Richard ! :D
    Come on, you do know how to do it !!! :D
    thumb.gif

Now I do, but I'm not going to tell you how many tries it took. rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 9, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Now I do, but I'm not going to tell you how many tries it took. rolleyes1.gif

No. You will not.
    But I'm sure you tried over and over.
    Everybody does. Digital advantage !
    :D
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I want the expanding, radial blur that you get when you change the zoom with the shutter open, but I want the center to be fairly sharp.

You could always put a snoot on a speedlight set to rear curtan sync & get your slow zooming exposure. You can even hald hold the entire exposure and get some neat effects w/ the subject still sharp.Whatever the flash hits will be in perfect focus with all the blur lines you like from the abmient exposure. {The exposure will be fine even w/ the flash close, since the high aperture offsets the intensity of the strobe}
    You could even hand hold the exposure for some neat effects and still keeping your focal point sharp.

Just remember that aperture controlls speedlights/strobes and shutter speed controlls ambient.

Jon
    edited July 15, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    You could always put a snoot on a speedlight set to rear curtan sync & get your slow zooming exposure. You can even hald hold the entire exposure and get some neat effects w/ the subject still sharp.Whatever the flash hits will be in perfect focus with all the blur lines you like from the abmient exposure. {The exposure will be fine even w/ the flash close, since the high aperture offsets the intensity of the strobe}
    You could even hand hold the exposure for some neat effects and still keeping your focal point sharp.

Just remember that aperture controlls speedlights/strobes and shutter speed controlls ambient.
    Jon

I'm not sure I understand this, Jon. I would think a snoot would keep the flash illumination constrained to the center, but doesn't the focus depend on the focal length and lens focus setting? I think in autofocus mode, the focus setting is determined when you click the shutter, but the focal length will have changed by the time the flash goes off in 2nd curtain mode. headscratch.gif
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand this, Jon. I would think a snoot would keep the flash illumination constrained to the center, but doesn't the focus depend on the focal length and lens focus setting? I think in autofocus mode, the focus setting is determined when you click the shutter, but the focal length will have changed by the time the flash goes off in 2nd curtain mode. headscratch.gif
    Yes the focus depends on the focal length and focal point you use. But you can tell your camera what you want to see when you click on the shutter.
    How I envision the shot you mentioned is a focal point on one thing so a strobe and snoot would be how I would approach this.What I picture in my mind and what you picture are quite possible two completely different things though.

You definately want to lock in on your final focal point w/ AF then switch to MF so your focal point doesnt change for this shot. I'd also shoot this on a tripod so focal length will be easy to determine.

Here's how I would approach this:
    • Manually set the strobe to a high power selection (1/2 - 3/4)
    • Get the strobe physically very close to the focal point.
    • take a few test shots and adjust exposure by increasing aperture to taste (the fstop numbers are going to be very high). If you are still blowing out the shot at the highest ftop, just adjust power down on the strobe accordingly. Don't back up the flash to adjust light if possible. This helps keepthe hard light out. (how it does that video)
    This high aperture gives you a great dof and that gives you a sharp picture w/ room for play so being dead on isn't that much of an issue if there is any play.

If you need more dof, just back out the focal point a bit and try again. I just found out from LiquidAir that focal point affects dof as well. post #7 on this thread

I'll do some test shots for you in about two weeks if you like. I'm about to move my family to Bend, OR this week and things will be boxed up for a little while.