Looking for inexpensive way to get Photoshop CS3

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited July 9, 2007 in Finishing School
I have read about getting a Wiacom tablet, which I want anyway, and using the PSE program to upgrade ot CS2 for 299 then getting a free upgrade to CS3. Now, my question is what other products can this be done with other than the tablet?

Comments

• silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Sometimes Adobe has run special offers for Elements owners, where the only requirement is to own Elements (no hardware requirement). You might call Adobe customer service to ask if this offer is still available.

Some scanners come with Elements and have included an upgrade path to Photoshop. It might be difficult to know which scanner would have that offer currently.

If you want a Wacom tablet anyway, why not go that route? Once you use one with Photoshop, you'll likely wonder why you waited.
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    silica wrote:
    Sometimes Adobe has run special offers for Elements owners, where the only requirement is to own Elements (no hardware requirement). You might call Adobe customer service to ask if this offer is still available.

Some scanners come with Elements and have included an upgrade path to Photoshop. It might be difficult to know which scanner would have that offer currently.

If you want a Wacom tablet anyway, why not go that route? Once you use one with Photoshop, you'll likely wonder why you waited.

In order to afford CS3 even with the upgrade I can only afford to get the cheapest tablet. Will I be disappointed? I already have PSE 5 and PE2, I am going to check on the possibility of being eligible for the CS3 upgrade now.
    Thanks!

UPDATE: Just called Adobe and they state that the discount for upgrading from PSE to CS3 is $559. When I mentioned the upgrade from the PSE3 bundled with the Wacom tablet for $299 she said it was an old offer but I pointed out it says November 30, 2007 expiration. It was recommended to print out the page from their site with that information and retain it until ready to upgrade in case of a problem. So I have ordered the tablet and will order CS3 when it arrives.
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Don't know if this will help you out, but a full version PS CS3 is only 299 for currently enrolled students (highschool or college), and teachers, and educational institution staff.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Have a child in school (K-12)? Taking any college or adult school courses? Work at a school (K-12, college, adult school)?

Any of these can get you CS3 at the "educational rate". The only difference between the educational version and the non-educational version (besides price) is that the educational version has "educational" stamped in the splash screen and about box. Other than that, both versions are identical. The upgrade path is the same no matter which version you have.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited July 5, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Have a child in school (K-12)? Taking any college or adult school courses? Work at a school (K-12, college, adult school)?

Any of these can get you CS3 at the "educational rate". The only difference between the educational version and the non-educational version (besides price) is that the educational version has "educational" stamped in the splash screen and about box. Other than that, both versions are identical. The upgrade path is the same no matter which version you have.

I wouldnt mind getting the educational version. I work in a nursery school though, thus not falling into the K-12 crowd. My daughter is going into First Grade but they don't have any type of identification for 6 year olds. If I could make that work that would be great!.

Thanks for the tips :)
    edited July 5, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    My daughter is going into First Grade but they don't have any type of identification for 6 year olds. If I could make that work that would be great!.

Cool, I've got a daughter going into first grade and a son going into fourth grade.

For K-12 proof, you just need a letter on school letterhead saying the student is enrolled there. You might also be able to send a report card. Just check with the company you are purchasing from.

More info here from the site I've purchased from:
    http://www.journeyed.com/genInfo.asp?PID=purchReq
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited July 5, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Cool, I've got a daughter going into first grade and a son going into fourth grade.

For K-12 proof, you just need a letter on school letterhead saying the student is enrolled there. You might also be able to send a report card. Just check with the company you are purchasing from.

More info here from the site I've purchased from:
    http://www.journeyed.com/genInfo.asp?PID=purchReq

Thanks! BTW, I love your work, especially the Utah ones. Gorgeous.
    edited July 6, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    Thanks! BTW, I love your work, especially the Utah ones. Gorgeous.

Thanks. By the way, I used to live in Utah a long time ago in a city named Riverdale!

Unfortunately I didn't pursue photography or even visit any of the national parks in Utah until after moving farther away to southern California.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I wouldnt mind getting the educational version. I work in a nursery school though, thus not falling into the K-12 crowd. My daughter is going into First Grade but they don't have any type of identification for 6 year olds. If I could make that work that would be great!.

Thanks for the tips :)

Check ACADEMIC SUPERSTORE .... to see what they want for proof...some of the best prices around for totall=y full retail products at education al prices
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Check ACADEMIC SUPERSTORE .... to see what they want for proof...some of the best prices around for totall=y full retail products at education al prices

One other thing is that once you get the educational version you can upgrade to CS4 (regular edition and when ever that comes out) at the "normal upgrade price". Current CS2 educational users can upgrade to CS3 as well thumb.gif and there is no restriction on using the educational version for profit (as some people continue to claim)
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
    edited July 9, 2007
    Thanks for all the great tips. I will definitley be getting it at some point soon.