help help conversion issues!

Morgan ColliniMorgan Collini Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited July 6, 2007 in Finishing School
When I view the RAW image in Canon zoombrowser it looks impeccable, However, when i convert to cs2, the image is now softer, color has shifted, etc. How do I keep the best version of the image to work with? How are others converting their Cannon xt files to tiffs?:dunno

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 5, 2007
    When I view the RAW image in Canon zoombrowser it looks impeccable, However, when i convert to cs2, the image is now softer, color has shifted, etc. How do I keep the best version of the image to work with? How are others converting their Cannon xt files to tiffs?ne_nau.gif

What exactly do you mean by "convert to cs2"? Are you opening the .CR2 file in ACR or are you using another program first to create a tiff?

Regards,
  • Morgan ColliniMorgan Collini Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2007
    I am viewing the file in Canon zoombrowser (should I be using DPP?) when i use the transfer function, it brings up a canon window that asks me to adjust exposure etc. at this stage my image looks great, i then hit transfer and it send it to my CS2 which looks much inferior to the canon image...any help?
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    What exactly do you mean by "convert to cs2"? Are you opening the .CR2 file in ACR or are you using another program first to create a tiff?

Regards,
    edited July 5, 2007
    I am viewing the file in Canon zoombrowser (should I be using DPP?) when i use the transfer function, it brings up a canon window that asks me to adjust exposure etc. at this stage my image looks great, i then hit transfer and it send it to my CS2 which looks much inferior to the canon image...any help?

I no longer have ZoomBrowser on my machine, so I'm not sure what's going on. Do you shoot RAW only? My first thought is that perhaps you are looking at a camera produced JPG in ZoomBrowser, which will not look the same as a RAW file. Another possibility is a mis-match somewhere in the color profile settings. headscratch.gif
  • Morgan ColliniMorgan Collini Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2007
    could you tell me your process for turning your raw file to a tiff then?
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I no longer have ZoomBrowser on my machine, so I'm not sure what's going on. Do you shoot RAW only? My first thought is that perhaps you are looking at a camera produced JPG in ZoomBrowser, which will not look the same as a RAW file. Another possibility is a mis-match somewhere in the color profile settings. headscratch.gif
    edited July 6, 2007
    could you tell me your process for turning your raw file to a tiff then?

I'm hoping someone else will jump in here with some information specific to the software you are trying to use. ear.gif

I use Raw Shooter Essentials, first for culling pics and then to convert the RAWs to TIFFs. I do a whole bunch of pics at once, so that at the end of the process, I have a folder full of TIFFs, which I process in Photoshop later. Unfortunately RSE is no longer available, but there are many other programs that can do the conversion for you, including DPP. You can also use ACR, which is included with Photoshop. I will probably switch to ACR once I get a more powerful machine. My current laptop is literally held together with duct tape. rolleyes1.gif

There's no single correct workflow. How you get from RAW files to your finished product depends a lot on your own needs and preferences.

Regards,
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Im not sure If this will help. i use Breesebrowser to view all my files, it does some raw ajustment. but will also show me a HIGH Quality View, which the software has enhanced to best viewand sharpend. You have to "get to that point" in CS I have the option of turning off that option, you may be able to in zoom brower . i have ZB on my machine but rarely use it. My jpegs always look better out of camera than my raw images.